Acoustic buzzing behind (under?) bridge

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by narwhale, Feb 24, 2012.

1. narwhale

narwhale Member

I have a Gibson Southern Jumbo that buzzes pretty bad only on the D string. It happens worse the lower down the neck I play, and open D is the worst. The buzz sounds like it's coming from the bridge, and I was thinking it could have something to do with the ball end vibrating against the top or something, but I've tried reseating the string to no avail. I've also tried changing strings.

Any ideas? I'd rather not take it to my guy and wait a few weeks if it's something I can fix myself. Here's a recording of the buzz for reference. Thanks!

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/etl423/guitarbuzz[/SOUNDCLOUD]

2. Red_Label

Red_Label Supporting Member

I have a similar buzz coming from under the bridge of my Breedlove Passport N250 (Korean, solid cedar top, sapele back and sides, nylon string crossover). It started after I had the tech at a local shop work on the Under-The-Saddle pickup because the string balance was way out of whack. He had to sand the nut in places to balance that out and somehow that's causing buzzing. I'm just waiting for my high-end Masterclass Breedlove crossover to be delivered (won it on Ebay a week ago) so I can tear into the lower-end model and fix that buzzing. The guitar came with an extra saddle, so I'll probably fit the extra one in there and see if the buzzing stops. Will also likely replace the stock pickup system with a better one at that time as well.

BTW... to better answer your question, have you tried pulling the saddle and looking at that to see if you can see what might be causing the issue? Maybe try to put a very thin shim under there and see if the buzzing stops? Might at least give you a better indication as to what's causing your buzz.

3. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

I can't help much. The two times my acoustic developed a buzz similar to yours, it was a poorly seated string at the bridgepins, and once when the nut was getting too low and needed replacement. If you've ruled those out then, hopefully others can help....
    Barnzy

4. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I had a Gibson J-35 reissue that had a similar problem. Feeling inside with my hand it felt like the bridge plate was chipped around the pin hole.

I put one of these in it, and it seemed to help iirc. Think it made the guitar a little louder and more zingy.

5. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

Is the ball end of the string resting firmly against the brigeplate.

your description of reseating the string was'nt clear to me.

6. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

May not be at the bridge. If it buzzes on an open string and closer to the nut I would think it's a neck relief problem, truss rod may be too tight.

Without the guitar in my hands, it's just a guess.

7. narwhale

narwhale Member

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I've re-checked the string and it's definitely properly seated. The buzzing does sound like it's coming from the bridge, but that could just be my ears playing tricks on me. The nut doesn't seem like it's too low (ironically I have an SG at my luthier right now which had a deep nut slot on the D among other things) but it's possible. I haven't messed with the saddle yet, though putting pressure on it doesn't seem to make a difference. Pressing on the string behind the saddle did seem to lessen the buzzing. If I can't figure out anything in the next week or so I'll probably just let my guy look at it. Thanks again!

8. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

Is your SJ a vintage model (Dont Know but the new ones might be the same) because those pearl dots on the bridge hide screws, and inside the guitar there are bolts on the screws which sometimes get loose and rattle. If it is a vintage model with the adj. bridge
    There are 2 big bolts on the height adj. screws that often come loose and cause rattles.