1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

acoustic di box or pre amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by flipMode5000, Oct 4, 2005.

1. flipMode5000

flipMode5000 Member

I've got an acoustic guitar with a pickup, and no built in pre. I've been thinking about getting something, but I'm not sure what to get. I've played through the lr baggs acoustic di and I like it a lot. I wasn't sure if anyone else had any other suggestions. Thanks.
    Phil

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I've played an acoustic into a boss ac-2 into a few electric amps (very clean amps). Makes a horrible sound into crystal-clear acoustic, perfect for gigs.

Probably your cheapest, most reliable option

3. erksin

erksin Member

I use the Baggs - it's a great all-around box for the $$$ IMO.

4. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

Hi,
    I've been using the SansAmp Acoustic DI with my Takamine Santa Fe, and it's made it sound twice as good. I bypass the EQ on my Tak and just use the EQ on the SansAmp, and phantom power it from my mixer. It has added lots of roundness, body and warmth- you can blend the piezo and Sansamp mic simulation. I've got it at about 1:00 towards the mic simulation and I can still hear a little piezo clarity. Has an effects loop and pad too. Good luck!

5. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

i've used the sansamp, the various fishman units, and the baggs para di. any will improve your sound. baggs is my fav and the one i still use.

6. 6789

6789 Member

check out the D-Tar Mamma Bear. it's supposed to be the best new thing.
    www.D-Tar.com

7. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

+1 for the Baggs Para-DI. Great box.

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I've mentioned this a few times too but no-one seems to pay attention ;).

The really odd thing is that it doesn't sound very good at all (IMO) for its intended purpose of making an electric guitar sound like an acoustic, either into an electric amp or an acoustic one (or a PA), but for making an electric amp sound like an acoustic one it really works quite well.

Whatever you use, make sure it has an input impedance of 1Megohm or greater (preferably 10Meg if you can find one) and the rest is just down to taste and how much control you need.

9. erksin

erksin Member

The Baggs has 10meg...

10. Guff

Guff Guest

I like the Baggs design. It's small and you can put it on the floor, with the controls facing up. Some of the other preamps/DIs seem better suited to sit on a desktop or in a rack. Just something to think about. No wallwart either. The battery on the Baggs seems to last a long time too.

11. flipMode5000

flipMode5000 Member

this looks pretty sweet, has anyone tried it??