Acoustic Dreadnought 1k-2k

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by fenderbender4, Aug 11, 2006.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I'm looking into an acoustic steel string guitar in the 1K to 2K price range. I was wondering what people had to recommend.

2. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

I have a Simon and Patrick that I love. It sounds very even and a little bright but nothing like a taylor. It came to $1200 cdn. including a 300 pickup and a 100 hardshell case. You could spend more but I've had this guitar for 5 years and it has opened up conciderably. I love this guitar so much that if I was given a gibson or a anything else I would probably sell it (unless it's a 12 string) because I am so happy with this guitar.

Give them a look. It's not how much you spend, it's what you hear.

3. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

For under $1000, and again for under $2000 it's impossible to beat Larrivee for quality and tone. The "3" series is the best $800 dollar rosewood guitar going. The 5 or 9 series is nicer looking, and also a killer value in the around $1200 to $1500 range.

4. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Best acoustic I've found under $1k is:

Tacoma DR-38 (the pre-Fenders)

Like this NOS that went for $700 (an absolute steal)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160014051547

What's incredible is it stacks up well in the $1k-2k category as well.

I read lots of raves here in the forums and thought they had to be exaggerating. Took a chance on one off Ebay, and turns out all the raves were right. Search the forums here for more info.

I wouldn't spend $1k on an acoustic without trying one of these first. And I sure wouldn't spend $2k when these are around. Plus if you buy it right (in the $7-800 range), you'll get every dime out of it on resale.

5. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Buy a used Santa Cruz "Tony Rice" for under 2K and never buy another dred again... Also keep an eye out for their d-pw series.

6. mindwave_21

mindwave_21 Member

I played an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ Jumbo (actually a slope shouldered dread) at GC the other day. Was really impressed...and for $650 with case. Couldn't buy it because I have a Larrivee OM, and I only do a few guitars at a time.
    Otherwise, Martin D28, D35, HD28, Gibson Songwriter (I think you can find the last two Martins for under 2k if you look used).

FYI - I don't own any of the aforementioned guitars (except the Larrivee), so take with a grain of salt and try them for yourself.

7. mgrier1

mgrier1 Silver Supporting Member

+1 Bullseye, right here... Superb instrument...

Also, I just sold a Taylor 810 for $1700 and that was a great player that just boomed - not subtle, but you won't get lost in the living room jam session, either...

8. BigRed51

BigRed51 Member

What is your playing style? Without that information, all you will ever hear is "buy what I bought." If, for example, you are going to be doing gentle fingerpicking around the living room, some of the suggestions might work. If, however, you are going to be flatpicking with other musicians, Larrivee and Epiphones are two examples that you will simply find inadequate for your needs.

9. Ogre

Ogre Member

Very unusual to find a Santa Cruz Tony Rice model for under 2K, but if you do, jump on it. It smokes anything else mentioned in this thread. Santa Cruz makes the quality guitar Martin USED to make.

10. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Tons of great Dreads out there in that price range.
    Taylor 800 series, Martin D-28 or D-35 or D-18, L'Arrivee, Santa Cruz.
    Tacoma, I find Seagull/Simon & Patrick a bit too bright I think for 'real' dread sounds. Alvarez/Yairi.
    I'd say walk to a store with a large selection play away!

11. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Ogre-

The Tony Rice SC models are some sort of anomoly in time and space, re-sale wise. They're on eBay all of the time for around $1700-2k for some strange reason. Mind you, there's also the Tony Rice "Custom" that's way more, but his standard model can be had used for very reasonable money it seems. There don't seem to be up at the moment, but keep a sharp eye out and some will pop up sooner or later.

Here some ended auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Santa-Cruz-Tony-Rice-Model-dreadnought-MUST-see_W0QQitemZ290014924626QQihZ019QQcategoryZ2385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/Santa-Cruz-Tony-Rice-Model-Dreadnought-Guitar-with-Case_W0QQitemZ230013202183QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

12. suttree

suttree Member

yah on the santa cruz. i paid more than 2K new for my om/pw (not complaining though, she's a real nice guitar). a used TR model will almost definitely be my next purchase.

13. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

Used Guild D-55 made in Westerly RI would be my first choice. These guitars are cannons when using a pick, but also respond very well to fingerstyle.

14. u12drag

u12drag Silver Supporting Member

I agree with Lamenlovinit. Larrivees seem to be unbeatable for the money. I especially like the D03r. sounds like a high quality acoustic hould sound. Way above its price range in sound and quality IMHO.
    kc

15. Big0range

Big0range Member

Larrivee is great, Taylor is great, Santa Cruz is great, Breedlove is great (and they have a neat soundboard truss system). Whatever you buy, buy used - you'll get more bang for the buck. I have no idea what motivates the "new only" crowd.

Oh, and check out any cedar-top models you can. Personal preference...

Are you favoring a cutaway or any particular body size (00, jumbo, etc...)?