Acoustic Effects

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nemo_sim, Nov 28, 2005.

1. nemo_sim

nemo_sim Member

Question from a long time reader/first time poster.

The singer I play with only has acoustic with a pickup which he runs through the PA. He's not a serious enough guitarist to own an amp or electric guitar (and we don't want him to).

He does however want to add some processing to his sound (distortion for rythm for example). I've never tried this and couldn't recommend a thing.

Does anyone have any positive experience with running an acoustic through some pedals?

Point me in the right direction,

Thanks.

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

3. nemo_sim

nemo_sim Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Any other suggestions?

4. rorschah

rorschah Member

At a little semi-secret LA jazz club (roccoinla.com) I once saw a some jamming between Nels Cline in his noisy mode, and a dude from Italy, some Professor of music at some art academy. He was running a classical guitar through a Rat and a Crybaby Classic. He had some kind of looper going, too.

Sounded freakin' great.

-thi

5. erksin

erksin Member

What kind of pickup does he use - soundhole or piezo/bridge?

I've gotten some cool sounds using my acoustic w/Sunrise pickup into a Timmy. Whatever dirtbox he winds up with, it should have good EQ controls - a simple treble roll off tone control probably won't help keep the low-end chunk...

6. D. Martin

D. Martin Member

I played with another guy for about 2 years, all acoustic. I started to get bored so I started experimenting with different pedals. I ended up using an analogman modded TS9 and a boss chorus. It sounded pretty good, but the EQ idea is highly recommended, it will really help out with the sound.

7. drolling

drolling Member

It really would be helpful to know if it's a magnetic soundhole or piezo transducer type pickup, as they both have different strengths & weaknesses.

But in either case, I'm w/D. Martin. Some kind of booster/EQ pedal will help shape tone without smothering the "acoustic" flavour w/distortion. And a little dash of chorus goes a long way towards filling out the sound of a strummed acoustic guitar.

8. stephenyi

stephenyi Member

I use a Yamaha AG Stomp for some compression, reverb, and delay.

9. AL30

AL30 Member

I've heard a few tube screamers w/ acoustics and they sounded very good. Doesn't matter which TS model - they're all just about the same circuit.

Also, for tone shaping - oddly enough the Boss Acoustic Simulator works very well for acoustics. Doesn't work too well with electrics, which is what it's supposed to do. But, I've seen several people use them with acoustics.

AL

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

I did an acoustic duo with a Teese Picture Wah and a Honeybee into a submixer with Lexicon MPX 500 for a little delay and verb and then into the house Pa...

I also use my DG stomp with the preamp defeated for verb and delay and like it a lot...

occasionally I will also use an Ibanez CS9 for some nice chorus...

for reference...I am using a Tacoma DM18 with K&K mini westen pure'into a Baggs para DI...

Chow,
    Seegs

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1. Can make an acoustic sound good through an electric amp (such as a fender twin reverb or such)

12. D. Martin

D. Martin Member

Yeah, you may be able to use the acoustic simulator instead of an EQ, may not work as well, but if he only plays on a few songs it may save a little $$$$. I have one and it really does help out an acoustic for shaping the sound, it does pretty well with my Powerbridge on my electric too.

13. nemo_sim

nemo_sim Member

Great suggestions, thanks.

FWIW I think he's looking for something to make his acoustic sound like a distorted electric.

He's got a cheap Fender acoustic Which he runs direct through the PA. Not sure of the model but that may help describe the pickup.