Acoustic Electric help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by playon, May 1, 2008.

1. playon

playon Supporting Member

I need to acquire an acoustic/electric guitar for a bunch of upcoming shows where I'll be playing acoustic parts on about 1/3 of the set. I don't know jack about these guitars, I've always just played regular electrics live, and vintage acoustics at home & in the studio. At the moment I'm borrowing the singer's Tacoma, it's a cheaper Dreadnaught model and it sounds OK plugged in but I want something a little smaller and easier to handle -- like a thinline cutaway model -- I don't care what it sounds like unplugged as this will be a utility stage guitar only. Looking to spend as little as possible, new or used, whatever. Can anyone suggest some models to me? Tacoma, Takamine, Yahama, Fender...? Prefer a thinline for right arm comfort and it would be a bonus if it also had a real pickup (humbucker, etc) along with the piezo. Looking to spend as little as possible, under $800, preferrably less. Thanks

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

3. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I have no affiliation with the seller, but the [​IMG]Carvin AE185 for sale in this auction sounds like a good option for you. Robben Ford used one, or a version of it, for a live acoustic CD he and his band did.

I had the AE185 and it worked pretty well, but I ultimately had McNaught make me a custom electric H/S/H electric (with coil tap capabilities for the humbuckers) with a completely separate acoustic bridge pickup system on that guitar. It is an electric guitar that has the acoustic option. I have about $5,000 in that guitar, so it won't meet the budgeted $800.

The Carvin AE185 I had played great and sounded good both as an electric and acoustic. You can also blend the two outputs at the guitar, so you can thicken up some parts, or change between the electric and acoustic sounds during the same song. I liked being able to to have the feel of an electric even playing the acoustic stuff.

[​IMG]

4. oldrock

oldrock Member

in the under $800 range, you are limited but you can get a taylor 214 for $799 and they are nice. Looking at the cheaper ones, there are tons of choices. In addition to the obvious alvarez and ibenez, you might want to look at the takamine nex sized cutaways. Not bad and can be had for round 500. Also check out the yamaha compass series. Generally well built and decent sound. One more that you could look at is ovation. I know alot of people say they sound thin but when plugged in, they are decent and in your price range.

5. playon

playon Supporting Member

Thanks guys. Anyone have experience with the Hamer Duo Tone? I don't want to invest that much in one of these because I view the whole piezo thing as a giant tone compromise in the first place. If I get a ton of work using this type of guitar maybe then I'll spend a little more in the future.

6. Ronny

Ronny Member

Playon,
    I have an Ovation Legend Super Shallow Bowl from the late '80s, with the Op-24 onboard E.Q., that I've been using for years. It helps to alleviate "nasal tones" from the Ovation by using outboard rack gear. As an alternate, on a budget, even a Dunlop slider E.Q. pedal is a Big help in tone sculpting the Shallow Bowl guitar for gigs. One of the guitarists for Shania Twain's touring band on the "UP" tour employed a Deep Bowl, slotted headstock, nylon string. It sounded great!

This is a high quality axe. The one that I have has a satin finish on the back of the neck, with an ebony fingerboard with 6105 frets and is inexpensive on the used market. You just have to do some searching!

7. playon

playon Supporting Member

Is there a model number for that guitar?

8. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

they don't seem to get mentioned all that much around here... but i love my takamine... can't say enough good things about it.

i have a middle-of-the-road model that sounds absolutely huge when it's plugged in. and, no matter how hard i play... i stays in tune. you can certainly find one for under $800. those guitars can take a beating... mine is 15 years old. it has some scars, but it still feels and sounds great!

9. Majin GeoDooD

Majin GeoDooD Member

10. Robertito

Robertito Member

My girlfriend is a very good guitarist, and she uses an LR Baggs piezo bridge and preamp mounted in her Strat. The piezo goes through a Fishman Aura imaging pedal into the PA, the electric side goes into a Reverend amp (or Carr Hammerhead) and it sounds great.

For less money, I can second GCDEF's suggestion of a Boss AC-3. It's definitely good enough in the context of a band. Good luck!

11. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

Don't mean to hijack, but what kind of aura image does she use for the piezo? I've been thinking about trying this, but I dont know if it would sound good

12. Robertito

Robertito Member

Oddly enough, she uses a nylon model, which to me sounds better than the steel string models she tried.

13. Ronny

Ronny Member

Yeah, I have an Ovation Legend, 1867 Model, Super Shallow Bowl. Cica 1985? Onboard piezo/OP-24 system (pretty ancient), but kicks major butt over Ovation's new onboard piezo/combination tuner system.
    The Op-24 is much warmer sounding. (As a whole, the older models have a Lot More Craftsmanship than the recent ones which I've been trying out). Super Bluegrass Flatpicker, Tony Rice at one time endorsed one of the Deep Bowl models in the early 1980's, and that was after he had already acquired Clarence White's Iconic '34 D-28!

I just saw a SuperShallow Bowl on the local Craigslist, which was about the same age/production period as my Legend, except that it was the top of the line model. (Ovation Custom Legend, or some such designation, with the extensive inlay on the fingerboard and top rims). It was going for 700 bucks. What a deal!

Incidentally, Bob Brozman, an Awesome lap steel and acoustic guitar player(you can check out his Incredible Playing with Cyril Pahinui)
    http://www.dancingcat.com/recordings/08022-38048-2.php

has some great tips on his website on employing a mike and a pickup combination for performance applications.

http://www.bobbrozman.com/soundhints.html