Acoustic electric suggestion please...!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by blueprint, Oct 24, 2018.

1. blueprint

blueprint Member

I play in a cover band, mostly electric guitar as you would expect, but sometimes songs need an acoustic guitar. So, I'm on the market to purchase an acoustic guitar with these specs:
    -Electric-like neck feel and playability. I'm not an acoustic player, I don't want to make any effort to adapt my technique.
    -Has to sound good when plugged into foth, the unplugged sound by itself is not that important. We have a good sound system by the way, with eq and compression possibilities.
    -The smaller the better, I'm not a big guy and a jumbo size would be ridiculous...
    -For all the above reasons, a solid body guitar would be a clever choice!
    -Price under 500, new or used.
    Any suggestion welcome!
    :)

2. RR59CMS

RR59CMS Member

I think the Ibanez Talman TCM50 (?) not sure of the model but its got an electric type neck, a single pickup, looks cool. I think they're are about $300. I have some Ibanez acoustic/elect and I'm very impressed.

BenB123 likes this.
  3. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I think I'd play a Tele!
    Seriously, A clean Tele with both PU's on is a wonderful thing. checks your boxes, and within reason, you can EQ to your liking w/o volume/feedback worries
    * Just an option that popped into my head ( I play a Martin D plugged iin, but also a Tele and appreciate it's 'utilty' - it's a Swiss Army knife guitar)

4. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Give an S6 by Seagull a try, I have the Sunburst Speuce top model, nuts 1.67 same size as my 2 electrics and the back of the necks pretty narrow. I don't really like acoustics with a larger nut than that.

At $500 +/- you wont to punch a wall when you ding it at a gig. Of course you spend more and get an all natural wood guitar with probably better electrics.

5. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

I was going to suggest a Taylor 214 until I saw the price and size requirement. If you're looking for a smaller guitar, like a 0 or 00 size, then I'm going to recommend a Eastman E10 00 and put your own pickup in it. But now that I think about it, even that would set you back close to $700ish. If you can make that reach, that'd be how I'd approach this purchase. For less than that, maybe a Fender Pm-2 or Pm-3, but honestly I'm not very fond of those so that recommendation is only based on price, not on it being what I think would be anywhere near ideal.

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

7. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I used to play a Godin Acousticaster, and really liked it. You can find those used in your price range. They do a decent acoustic guitar impersonation through a PA, and play like a good Fender electric. They are extremely light weight, and Tele shaped. But they don't have any "electric guitar sounds", if you want that versatility.

I now play a Taylor T5z, which is awesome. But even the basic version will cost you more than double your budget. The great thing about the T5z is that it does both acoustic and electric sounds. Often, it's the only guitar I take to a gig.

8. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Please get a DI box, LR Braggs Para is my recomendation. Every time I've ever used my acoustic without a DI it really doesn't sound very good. I agree playing an acoustic when it calls for it is a game changer. I play 30% acoustic in my band and it certainly separates us from the bands who just play those songs on electric.

9. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Another option could be an older line 6 variax, the acoustic modeling in them is not bad IMO and you would certainly have the feel of an electric. They can be had well within your price point.

10. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

I was going to say something along a similar line. If you do not care what the guitar sounds like unplugged buy an electric with a piezo pickup. There are also boxes that will reproduce the sound/

Bluedano1 likes this.
  11. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

A guitar I'd LOVE to try in the OP's playing context ( and I have NEVER actually played one) is Fender's MIJ '69 Tele Thinline RI - Specifically the Mahogany-bodied/ F hole/Single coils. Maybe a great fit to ' scratch an itch' - lightweight, a little acoustic resonance/ great looks, good pickuos.

Would love to give model a spin someday...

EricPeterson likes this.
  12. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

my bandmate has the mexi version, really great guitar and a cool tone, neck is pretty mellow and full sounding the bridge can still get snappy

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Bluedano1 likes this.
  13. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

What's the ' maxi version' - mean Mexi? Mexican-made?
    Will eventually try one ( have played the '72 Thinline RI, with ' Wide-Range humbuckers, and F-hole

14. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

yes i meant mexi (mexican) — autocorrect error

Bluedano1 likes this.
  15. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

You can get a solid wood Martin at a few hundred more. The Performing Artist series are fantastic guitars. Given some patience in your search you can really make out with a good deal.

Jp2558 likes this.
  16. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

Ain't nothing like the real thing. Save a bit longer and buy a good cutaway acoustic. Buy what you really want the first time and you will save a ton of money in the long run.

17. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

I had a Fender Telecoustic for a couple of years, left it in the rehearsal space. Surprisingly good plugged-in sound. In your price range, it's going to be hard to hit all your specs.

Bluedano1 likes this.
  18. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I always liked the look of the Telecoustic ( vs. the Stratacoustic ) and played a few unplugged at a GC- pretty decent volume unplugged ( enough to hear when playing alone, but definitely meant to be plugged in)
    Always thought the burgundy finish one would be fun to own