Acoustic/Electric suggestions

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Mr. G., Aug 31, 2005.

1. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

My band just broke up.... again. So, now it's just me and my drummer.... again. We're thinking of doing something a little different by doing an acoustic duo singer/songwriter (he's a lyric freak) type thing. I'll be playing acoustic guitar and singing, and he'll be taking care of the drums and backup vocals. I need a guitar that sounds good through a PA as well as unplugged. I don't want anything very expensive, as I don't want to be scared of it getting scratched or whatever at gigs. I'd say <600. The music will have a modern acoustic feel to it, a la AIC. I guess my only two requirements would be a neck at leas 1-11/16" wide or more and to have a cut away body. Any suggestions?

mark w likes this.
  2. highgeer

highgeer Member

I have been hearing a lot about the Breedlove Atlas Series. They have a street price between $400 and $900, and are suppose to sound better than Taylors that cost more than twice as much.

Mike

3. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Martin OME-15, wide nut and cutaway

4. unclej54

unclej54 Guest

i gig with a takemine that i paid aabout $995 with case about 5 years ago..great electronics on them, sweet neck and i'll bet you can get a used one for about what you're looking to pay.

5. dave251

dave251 Member

Just about any acoustic guitar in the $300 to $500 range will respond tonally for you. Finding one with a wider neck might prove to be difficult. And then the electronics.

Your typical acoustic-electric for less than $600 will have a UST(under the saddle transducer) only. These are infamous for "quack"....if you LIKE that sort of tone, go for it.

You CAN get a better sounding UST....usually a polymer or cable style, but will pay big bucks for it.

A soundhole mag is another option; some of the modern ones sound very good, and since you're coming from an electric guitar background, you'll be more familiar with the tone.

Finding a guitar in your price range with a mag installed will be tough, too...particularly a good sounding mag.

One important thing to remember, the better sounding a guitar is acoustically, the more feedback and resonance problems you'll have when you start getting into high gain levels. So it's a balancing act. A GREAT acoustic is a very poor choice for high gain levels...you'll be equ'ing out all of the resonances that give you that wonderful acoustic tone.

Personally, for live sound, I prefer a soundhole magnetic AND a SBT(soundboard transducer) on a relatively inexpensive instrument....and then use my GOOD acoustic for recording ( actually, I've designed and built more than 110 copies of my electroCoustic, but it's for VERY high gain levels...rock and roll gain levels....a solid body instrument; however, I'm NOT trying to sell you one of those). The SBT allows good top and body resonance, while the magnetic lets you get the gain up a bit more.

Finding the wide neck is going to be the critical issue, although 1 11/16" is the standard. Many times you can have a new nut made with the string slots spread out a bit...

6. llazlok

llazlok Member

Hello,

Check out the acoustic cd by Martin Sexton called "Live Wide Open". www.martinsexton.com

The whole CD is just Martin on guitar and a drummer He uses a Godin (Multiac I believe). It's one of the best live acoustic sounds I've heard on record.

The Godin "A series" can be had for a price closer to your ballpark.

Good luck,

Mike

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I suggest getting the best sounding guitar you can afford and not worrying about scratches anyway. The only guitar worth gigging with is one that sounds good. I've toured with my Santa Cruz for years, and it no longer looks new, but so what? Not that I bang it around, G-d forbid, but it's not a museum piece. It's a gorgeous instrument, meant to be played and heard!

8. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

Yeah, you've got a point. I felt the same way about my PRS when I first got it. Now, you can tell it's been played, i.e. enjoyed.

9. royd

royd Member

what Dave said...

I'd look for an acoustic you like and then add a Baggs M1 soundhole pickup to it. It gives you some of the advantages that Dave mentioned with having both an SBT and a mag at a lower price point and a much simpler installation. It runs about $130 street price I think.

I too am afraid the price point might be difficult to meet. Most "fingerstyle" guitars have a 1 3/4 fingerboard so look for that. Look for OM style or some jumbos. I think there is a Martin 00015 that would meet your requirements, maybe a Larrivee OM or L style, one of the Breedlove Atlas... there may be some other guitars too. Probably you'll need to stay away from dreadnoughts which tend to have narrower fingerboards.

10. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

Hmm... I just measured my current acoustic, and the neck measured 1-11/16" at the nut, which is what I was looking for. I just thought it was smaller since my PRS is 1-11/16" and it's strings have a wider spread (at least it feels that way). That's what I was going by for the neck width. I defanately wouldn't want under 1-11/16" though.

11. dave251

dave251 Member

You can often replace the nut for a wider string spacing. You'll need AT LEAST 0.100" on either side of the nut for adequate string clearance to the outside of the neck. I like to work in thousandths( I use a dial caliper all the time). I usually set the slots on a 1.7" nut at 1.450" for the e strings. Leave just a hair more on the bass side.