Acoustic for $500-$700

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by ButchR, Apr 28, 2008.

1. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I am an electric player pretty much exlusively. Like everyone here I've spent way too much on gear lately. I have been having a few ocassions where I need an acoustic. Is it possible to find one in the 5-700 range.

I play an original Baker electric so I understand you get what you pay for but I'm not ready to shell out a bunch of money on one yet.

Any suggestions? I will need it to have a pickup.

2. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I have a Takamine TF341DLX that I no longer need. If you're interested PM me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]VIEW LARGERTF341DLX

6 String Acoustic / Electric

Body Shape:Dreadnought C/ARosette:AbaloneTop:Solid CedarInlays:Abalone SnowflakesBack:Solid MahoganySides:MahoganyFingerboard:RosewoodElectronics:CTP-1Tuners:Chrome & PearlFeatures:Features the new CTP-1 Cool Tube Preamp.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Gloss Black
    [​IMG]CoolTube
    On-board tube preamp with bass and treble tone controls, semi-parametric midrange, a second-source input and blend control, and chromatic tuner. ​

3. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

I bought a new Martin J-15 for a little over $700 a few years ago. I could recommend a good dealer for pricing. I had really wanted a smaller 000-15 body, found a used one last year at a local shop for $525 w/Martin Case, and sold the J. Most folks love this series Martin as it's all wood (Mahogany or saeple), sounds great, and is a good value, made in Pa. guitar ~ I have installed an L.R. Baggs I-Beam pick-up and it sounds good to me
    Whatever you get, 'hope you enjoy it !

4. donkers

donkers Member

i LOVE my breedlove atlas series.

5. ButchR

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I didn't realize that Martin made a guitar in that price range. Cool!

6. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

7. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I have a 000-15S. The 15 series Martin's are a great value for a solid wood guitar. They're excellent guitars that many people love, even though they own or could afford to own more expensive Martins. You can often pick them up used for $500-$700. If you want a dreadnought, there is the D-15. If you like smaller bodied guitars, there is the 00-15, 000-15 and 000-15S.

8. Vibrolucky

Vibrolucky Supporting Member

Best bang for the buck - Martin D-15

Try one and you'll see!

9. thudle

thudle Member

10. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

Is that the model they make for GC?
    I think I tried one of those a few weeks ago and it was one sweet sounding guitar. If I remember right, it was about $900 or $1000?

11. donkers

donkers Member

honestly, the breedlove i own and love beats any martin and taylor in the same price range.

12. ButchR

Thanks for all of the suggestions and offers to sell. I actually have a store credit locally and was looking for something in that price range.

13. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Well if they have a Breedlove Atlas Plus you can't go wrong. They are great guitars. Good luck with the search.

14. shawntp

shawntp Member

Ive been through several acoustics over the past few years - I had a Taylor 310 that was in your range that was no-frills but sounded and played great.

15. Cody McLain

Cody McLain Member

Not sure what store your credit is with and if they carry Epiphone, but I would at least make an effort to try out some of the Epiphone Masterbuilt acoustics before you decide. I've been impressed with the ones I've tried and my local dealer was willing to work with the price. Around $500 new and the few I've tried were very nice compared to the cheaper Martins, Taylors in the under $1500 range. I've heard good about the Breedlove as well, but haven't tried any. Do a search in this section for more talk about the Epi Masterbuilts... impressive for the price.

16. Laird_Williams

Laird_Williams Member

You ought to look at the Guild GAD50 also. Its at the top of your range - but sounds great. Solid Rosewood back and sides, spruce top. Solid rosewood in this price range is not-unheard-of, but it is rare.

A student of mine has one of these and it sounds and plays great.

It has no electronics. In your price range, unless you have a compelling need right now to have on-board electronics, you might do better to spend the $$$ on the acoustic aspects of the guitar and then add any electronics you need later. You will probably get a better quality guitar, wood and sound-wise this way. Later you can put a far better pickup system on than would come from the factory.

17. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

If you're interested in used guitars at all, a Guild D25 is a monster sounding guitar & they're built like tanks. Get one that was built between the early 70's and the mid 90's. They can often be found within your range.