Acoustic for an electric player

juxtapolice

Supporting Member
I'm in the market for an acoustic electric.
I am an electric player by nature, so looking for something I can easily transition between for live performances. These are my criteria:
Budget 2k tops
Good/decent sounding pickup
Medium small body
Snappy/tight sound, articulate for finger style /blues and chordal work (I play teles set with 11s and 12s and 335s mostly )
I do not want a cutaway
Shorter scale length fine
Prefer natural finish to sunburst
Does not have to be traditional
I've enjoyed Martin's every time I've played one

Thanks guys, open to all suggestions.

Tony Done

Taylor got their initial foothold in the market through their electric guitarist-friendly necks, and Eastman have a very good reputation, with models in your price range and specs, but I have never tried one. When it gets down to the fine print of feel and tone, it is personal preference and try it and see.

juxtapolice

Supporting Member
Taylor got their initial foothold in the market through their electric guitarist-friendly necks, and Eastman have a very good reputation, with models in your price range and specs, but I have never tried one. When it gets down to the fine print of feel and tone, it is personal preference and try it and see.
Cool, thank you for the recommendations

Having trouble finding the "x14" model is there a different name that model may be under?
No, "x" is the variable: Taylor 114, 214, 414, 814, and so on.

In my experience, they are very friendly necks for electric guitarists. Check those models out if you want something a little sleeker.

BEACHBUM

I play both electric and acoustic and when I first started playing my take on it was that in order to get the best out of both I needed to learn to play them the way they were meant to be played. The acoustic is simply a different animal and the techniques required to make one sound good are more strenuous especially at first. One thing I wouldn't do is to compromise on other important aspects of a guitar for the sake of easy playability alone. My advice is to buy the best guitar you can afford and that suits you the best and then accept the fact that no matter what you buy you're going to have to spend the time and effort to develop your acoustic skills. Once you've gotten there you'll find that what at first was uncomfortable now feels easy.

Last edited:

juxtapolice

Supporting Member
I play both electric and acoustic and when I first started playing my take on it was that in order to get the best out of both I needed to learn to play them the way they were meant to be played. The acoustic is simply a different animal and the techniques required to make one sound good are more strenuous especially at first. One thing I wouldn't do is to compromise on other important aspects of a guitar for the sake of easy playability alone. My advice is to buy the best guitar you can afford and that suits you the best and then accept the fact that no matter what you buy you're going to have to spend the time and effort to develop your acoustic skills. Once you've gotten there you'll find that what at first was uncomfortable now feels easy.
I get that. One of the reasons I posted was with that in mind. So I'm not necessarily looking for an easy to play acoustic, like I mentioned I play electrics strung with 11s and 12s and usually larger necks, but rather something that would transition easily on stage. Ill play 3/4/5 hour sets so I like keeping the feel of the instruments somewhat consistent. With that said, you are right in that an acoustic is it's own instrument with its own playing requirements and feel. This guitar will however be strictly a stage guitar

Frozen Rat

Gold Supporting Member
I've really liked just about every Martin 00-18 I've played. Short scale 24.9", easy to play, fits in your lap, has that Martin tone.

The list price is $2499, but with some smooth talking you can almost always get 15% off that, which gets you down nearly to your 2k budget. If you buy used you can certainly find one. Since you like Martins and want a small body, why look elsewhere? Get one, I cannot imagine you will be disappointed.

Only thing I'm not sure about is the electronics. The descriptions say "optional" but I'm pretty sure the 2 or 3 I played all had LR Baggs pickups installed. It's been awhile though so do your own corroboration on that point.

SDH

This is not a joke but I highly recommend the PRS SE Tonare line, (since you don't want a cut away). I am very picky about acoustic guitar sounds and these sound incredible. I own 2 PRS SE acoustics and love them as much as my previously owned Taylor 912C I had for 23 years. They all have solid spruce tops, ebony finger boards, bone saddles, and Fishman GT1 pups. The finger board width matches most electrics. The back and sides come in either Mahogany, Ovangkol, Maple, or Ziricote so you can find the sound your looking for. You can pick one up new for less than $800 to $1000 and save yourself some money. Actually for your budget you may want to get 2 of them. :D

https://www.prsguitars.com/products/se_acoustic/

juxtapolice

Supporting Member
Check out the new Gibson j-45 studio. I've played primarily electrics for years and got the acoustic itch recently. Went through a bunch but kept coming back to this one. Love it!
Nice was actually checking out the L-00 studio by Gibson, it's the parlor size

evening_crow

Check out the new Gibson j-45 studio. I've played primarily electrics for years and got the acoustic itch recently. Went through a bunch but kept coming back to this one. Love it!
Funny thing, I was just thinking of my J-15. I find it surprisingly easy to play and well balanced sound- wise.

OM Flyer

Supporting Member
Personally, I'd just forget about the whole "acoustic for an electric player" thing -- it's kind of like asking for the best saxophone for a clarinet player. Acoustics are totally different beasts, and to me, the ones that offer super-low action and thin bodies sacrifice a great deal of acoustic tone. For small bodies, I don't think you can go wrong with a Gibson L-00 or LG2 AE, or a Martin 000-15 or 18. You shouldn't have trouble finding good used ones for under $2K.

Embrace the magic of a fine acoustic and make the adjustments to your playing.

Last edited:

Trending Topics