acoustic gigs

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by buzzp, Feb 27, 2012.

1. buzzp

buzzp Member

All I need is a mixer and a main speaker. I like using amps instead of PA for acoustic... any suggestions on the mixer? A cheap 4 channel is fine. I just don't know a reliable one with a good amount of power.

2. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

i'm confused...amps instead of PA? not really sure what you're looking for...you're looking for a powered mixer and a PA speaker?

3. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Are you after a Powered Mixer?

I'd recommend a regular line level mixer and an active speaker.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG82cx/

That little yamaha mixer will do nicely it's got effective compression and basic effects. (Vocals always sound better with a bit of reverb and compression on them and the same goes for acoustic guitar coincidentally.)

You didn't mention your budget but an EV ELX112P would be a great powered speaker choice as would an RCF ART 312A.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/electro-voice-elx112p-live-x-series-active-12-loudspeaker
    http://www.proaudiostar.com/rcf-art-312a-active-speaker.html

If those are in your budget then one or a pair of those would do you well for most solo shows.

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

What was the question? :huh

5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

3dognate is right on the money. I play over 100 acoustic duo and solo shows a year and my little Yamaha MG82cx mixer and QSC K10s sound fantastic. Also, getting a really nice sounding condenser vocal mic made all the difference for me too. I don't use it on loud stages, but it adds SO much clarity and detail on acoustic shows. I just picked up a BLUE http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/enCORE300/ and it's just fantastic sounding.

6. buzzp

buzzp Member

3dognate answered what I was asking! sorry the original post wasn't clear...

I think I'll definitely get that Yamaha mixer. I'm going to try and find a powered speaker on craigslist or something as I'm trying to keep the costs down. Thanks guys!

7. 335guy

335guy Member

Many powered speakers have a very simple "mixer" built in. Enough for a mic and a guitar. So, all you really need is a powered speaker.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Fred132

Fred132 Member

Jeez, that Yamaha mixer 3dognate recommended seems to do a whole lot for the price. I don't even need one, and I'm still tempted *just in case*. :)

9. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

yeah, i have one of these and it's great. also, it's almost supernatural how light it is.

10. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

I actually have the MG124CX due to needing a couple of extra inputs than the MG82CX has... Too bad there's no MG102CX... wonder why they left that one out, would have been perfect for my needs.

I'd not recommed using the mixer on the speaker... way too dry for me. I'd only use that for announcements and stuff. Even spoken voice needs a little something. I don't EVEN sing well enough to not have some effect on my vocal to average it out.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I think 3dognate is an awesome username.:bow

Carry on.

12. lschwart

lschwart Member

13. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

a Mackie 808M and a passive speaker sounds like it would do the job on the cheap.

14. McStrats

McStrats Member

I use a single Mackie SRM450 and a A&H ZED10FX for acoustic duo gigs. I set the speaker up behind us so I can hear everything. We use a pair of EV mics and a Martin 000C-16RGTE. Everything sounds wonderful and sets up in 10 mins.

15. mannish

mannish Member

I do not think this is what you asked but one of my best purchases was a 4 channel Yamaha passport PA. Very easy and works great on lots of gigs - I don't use amps on acoustic gigs and this PA has been prefect. I always believe is getting more than you need in case you need it later