1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Acoustic Goodall fingerstyle dual-micing HELL!!!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by John Czajkowski, Feb 15, 2009.

1. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7338445&q=hi

arrrgh...getting closer...I am always amazed how much tougher it is to mic up solo fingerstyle than easy pick strummy stuff in a mix. Totally different ballgame. Anyway, feedback is very appreciated on the engineering for this little birthday tune for my wife. Really having a tough time getting the mics placed and eq'd correctly for this one. I think I get the best image with one K184 level 8 inches from the 9th fret and the other straight down in front of my right shoulder aiming at the bridge. Greg V turned me onto this method.

2. aram

aram Member

sounds great to me!!

3. paul1122

paul1122 Member

4. pinner

pinner Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful. What kind of Goody is it?

5. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

6. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

That's a nice sound for sure.

Concert Jumbo?

7. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

You're on your own with the recording technique...a tried & true approach. Tune's great though...open tunage - sweet.

8. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Aram, Paul, and GuitarSlinger,

Thanks for lending your ears fellers. ;)

Pinner and Arthur,

the guitar is a Koa Grand Concert Cutaway...got it on an amazing trade (for me) a few years ago. It is a low-mid cannon, and therefore tough to record with mics close in. It has a really nice silky trebel that I am still having a tough time getting to come through in the mix.

Andy,

Yeah it is the great trancendetal quest...and, DADGAD, mmmm...smells like apple pie.

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Nice!

Thanks, John

Mic placement may have been a b!tch but I think you figured it out.

10. jb70

jb70 Member

doesn't sound like you're having any problems to me john. i really dug that!

jack

11. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I only have my laptop to listen on, but it sounded good to me. I'd zoom in on the two tracks and see if there are any obvious phase issues going on between them, as you might be getting some comb filtering. If it were me, I'd get the mix sounding great with the close mic and then see if the over-shoulder mic brings much to the mix. Also, there are a few sections where the intonation gets a bit out, so if you do track it again, then watch out for that. Nice tune!

Bryan

12. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Thanks again for checking out/commenting on this tester. I had hoped to re-record it today, but got sidetracked by another project.

Bryan, thanks for your insights. Yeah, this guitar is hard to get in tune all across the instrument in DADGAD, even worse in standard tuning. The action is a little too high, and I can't decide if I want it to come down at the nut or the bridge, or both. The mic distances I came up with are bass-city, but the phase correlation is great. These things are almost panned 95 L/R with a big beautiful PAZ image with almost no errant phasiness whatsoever with verb off. So, they are placed and EQ'd for pretty much 50%-50%. This method doesn't create a completely "natural" image, but it may get the best phase-correlated image of the tried and true techniques.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009