Acoustic guit 101

Soundhound

I'm starting to research acoustics, been an electric player all my life. I had two hand me down acoustics that i learned on, one nylon string, one steel string (both handed down before sgt pepper came out, yes, im old!) but its been all electrics for me since.

Been reading here with interest, about larrives, breedloves and other. Played some martins, gibsons, guilds today etc today in a store... liked a couple, it's going to be a process...

Are there standard nut sizes, or are they all over the place? I notice some fretboards fit my hand nicely, others feel too big.

Last edited:

Kraus Guitars

1-11/16" is most common on Dreads, followed by 1-3/4". and 1-13/16". Throw in low profile, V shaped, oval, C shaped necks and you have plety of options.

gibson3798

Find a guitar you like, with the sound that speaks to you. Not to the other players who will respond to this question, but you alone. You will narrow it down to a couple of "brands".
Note that for an older player (like myself) a smaller body guitar puts less strain on your shoulder. There is very little "loss" in volume and usually a "gain" in harmonic overtones.
There are many things to consider but it's all up to your ears and your body in the final analysis. After that comes your budget and that will narrow it further.
It's exciting, enjoy the hunt and buy only after playing and going back and playing again. Good luck!!

Soundhound

Good advice! I played a few that I liked, and am going to a few other stores, and will go back and try those that I liked again. It's such a different instrument, really new ground for me. I think the bar is fairly low for me (compared to what I read around here). The big things are sounds (duh) feel and intonation. There were a couple of Martins and a Guild that at first tryout felt like they'd do the job. I was trying to find this sound (among others) with them... at about :48 in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBG4vxi9mtk

Trending Topics