Acoustic guitar for a girl?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Ed G., Dec 19, 2009.

1. Ed G.

Ed G. Senior Member

My daughter is taking guitar lessons and doing VERY well. She is 10 and started with a Laguna acoustic (really nice for the money, like a Baby Taylor) and she's been playing my Yamaha full-sized acoustic. Naturally, it has a better sound and better intonation than any 3/4 size guitar.
    I was looking at a full-scale guitar for her, with possibly a smaller body and thinner neck. Her friend has Daisy Rock, and complains about tuning. I was thinking about those Yamaha APX guitars, I mean it's Yamaha, so it's going to be a good guitar. Any other suggestions?

morlll likes this.
  2. GASattack

GASattack Member

Here not too long ago, I was shopping in a Guitar Center and, even tho I was a customer, I had a guy start asking me
    questions (who was buying his 15 year old daughter, who was there, an acoustic. He was just looking for the best 'bang
    for his buck' in something she could continue to grow into.

ANYWAYS, they had this Takamine that was Koa wood .. full scale, but a smaller body ... I loved it and was a HAIR
    from buying it myself, when I had her play it, and she fell in love with it .. I said 'MEH ... Merry Christmas .... and bought an Ovation .. lol ...

But that Takamine was REEEEEEALY nice playing, sounded great ... and had that smaller body ....

~Kevin

3. AlS2rt

AlS2rt Member

4. humbuster

humbuster Senior Member

Taylor, chicks dig 'em.

Barnzy likes this.
  5. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

SO my 8 year old wants to start guitar. She plays piano, but has said that she doesn't want an electric, as that's mostly what I play. Doing research, it seems like the baby taylor Taylor Swift model is a well built guitar, with a decent price.

Any input from the experts? I know electrics, and I've got a nice cedar top Seagull that I love.

morlll likes this.
  6. feet

feet Supporting Member

i suppose there are several travel, mini and parlor sized guitars that would work. depends on how much you're looking to spend. i'd consider something that isn't too small or girly or dorky so that she could grow into it, and that you could also get some use out of it, knowing how kids are. in the event she doesn't take to it or outgrows it, you aren't stuck with a toy.

taylor, martin and guild have several mini versions of their stuff. ibanez and ami have some interesting parlors at decent prices. gretsch jim dandy is plenty cheap, too. you'd probably want a smaller scale, but not too small. or maybe just capo it until she gets better?

7. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

I had an APX. Pretty anemic sounding as an acoustic.
    How about the new Taylor Academy series? They have a slightly shorter scale which reduces string tension a bit, a forearm contour on the upper bout, and a pickup.

8. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

Taylor Academy series were a nice playing instrument at the road show. May consider one of those. Also, not sure of your finances, but I love the idea of getting a genuine Taylor solid wood model and then sharing it, or keeping it for yourself if it doesn't work out for her. I think it's great that she is moving forward with this...my girls never caught on and now my only hope is my son...

9. dhd

dhd Member

This Emerald X7 is a nice sized guitar for a girl.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  10. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Budget? Baby Taylor. The lower end Taylors have a narrower nut. Some of the Guild Reissues have a 1-11/16 nut, some dont. Many acoustics now have gone to 1.75 nut. Too big even for me to be comfortable ...

11. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Acoustic-Electric Guitar (with Bag)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. RR59CMS

RR59CMS Member

You might check out the Ibanez TCM50. It has a smaller thinline body, slimmer electric style neck and has a pickup. I've seen them for $300 and I think they look pretty cool. I've had several Ibanez electrics and acoustics and I think they make some pretty nice instruments.

13. morlll

morlll Supporting Member

That Taylor is nice.

Larrivee L03 is a nice guitar that can be had used at a good price.

Seagull and other Canadian made guitars from the Godin group of companies are great.

14. knotts

knotts Member

Get the Taylor GS mini. What ever flavor works for you...mahogany, koa or spruce. They play great and the smaller body size is comfortable.

johan likes this.
  15. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Any recommendations for an even younger child? My almost 7 year old keeps saying she wants a guitar. I know she doesn't really want to learn now, but I'd at least like to get her something she can learn a few chords on an not get frustrated. Am I better off with a Uke?

I've got a GS Mini that I take on vacations and she always wants to "play" it - it's too big for her to hold or fret.

16. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

GS mini. No brainer. It has the best tone of all the tiny acoustics. I have a mahogany and bought it because it had a richer/darker sound then the spruce. The spruce has a lot more chime but it ends up sounding thinner overall to my ears. I see them used all the time for great prices

The Taylor swift baby will not sound as good but is a smaller body. It will also be harder to get rid of if she doesn't stick to it. 8 is a bit young for guitar because kids hands are so small and lacking dexterity. I don't start kids until around 6th grade. I'm not saying it's impossible, but piano is a much better choice at that age because of the physical aspects and also as a foundation for learning music. Guitar is confusing where piano is laid out from Low to High.

Yamaha makes a nice mini acoustic. Its called a JR1. Its definitely the best cheap guitar option.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  17. davess23

davess23 Member

Maybe a Blueridge BR-43. That's a nicely constructed 000 size with laminate back and sides but a solid top. Nice neck for small hands. Excellent sounding. We recently bought a BR-143 for my girlfriend (same guitar but all solid woods, which we preferred) but the couple of 43s I tried were quite decent and I think a kid could stay with one for a long time before needing to upgrade.

18. johan

johan Member

I bought a Taylor GS Mini Mahogany for my 7 year old daughter. It's a bit too hard for her to play (she's using my nylon) but I love it. It's comfy and sounds really sweet. I actually use it just as much as my Martin HD28

19. ferrinbonn

ferrinbonn Member

Crazy, I just came here to post the exact same question.

My daughter is about to turn 11 and has been playing for just over a year. She's looking to get an acoustic after playing electric so far. We want something with a full scale length but a smaller body. She can't play my dreadnought at all because of the body size. We're looking to keep it around $300.

Has anybody tried the Yamaha FS830 or the Breedlove Discovery Concert? Both have a more manageable body size and both have solid tops. Anything else we should be looking at? She's open to used, but I'd be hesitant to pick up a used acoustic that we couldn't play in person first, so that cuts out Reverb.