Acoustic Heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Infi-del, May 10, 2016.

1. Infi-del

Infi-del Member

I'm getting away from ordinary guitar amps these days as I am moving into more piezo, acoustic, hex pickup type waters. I really want an amp that is like a mini PA. Something that isn't voiced for electric guitar or that will breakup when pushed. But I want the flexibility of using my own cab. I don't want to be limited to 2 8" speakers like with the Roland AC-90. I really want to build my own full range cab and explore multi driver options. Perhaps like two stereo cabs with a 15" Full Range and 8" Coaxial. Or possibly a compression horn. Nevertheless... I want a pure signal transfer. Years ago I went on a search for the cleanest sounding guitar amp I could find and I landed on a Roland JC-120 Head. Love it... it's a great guitar amp. But I'm looking for something that is geared more towards acoustic signals and works like a PA. But still amplifies the signal like an Amp. From what I understand if you plug a guitar right into a mixing board... you get a super weak signal. Are there any Acoustic Heads out there instead of combos?

2. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

Several years ago I was after the same thing and did a rack setup......Stewart power amp, Sarno Revelation Tube Preamp, Korg Tuner, Monster Power conditioner. The power amp didn't run hot, but I put a space between it and everything else anyway with a spacer plate - all in a 6U rack....if you check out The Steel Guitar Forum, those folks are looking for similar gear; loud, clean, but also with warmth....for cabinets, I started with an Accugroove Tri-15 bass cabinet because it has bass / midrange / tweeters all in one cabinet. Didn't quite get me where I wanted , so I built a closed back 2-12" cabinet with Jensen Jet Blackbirds. They were really nice clean. As someone who has played a lot of acoustic and acoustic / electric, I came to NOT like tweeters.....just seemed to accentuate the "quack" that no one likes from a piezo.....YMMV

3. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I can relate to this statement.
    I play pedal steel and am a member at the Steel Guitar forum. After reading a few reviews / and hearing sound clips, I wen with a GK MB200 bass amp head, into a 15" Sica bass speaker -Tommy Huff open back cab. Sounds great, lots of clean headroom and works well with my pedal board and acoustic instruments.
    I have a Fishman Loudbox Artist as well. I can get some nice low end, and basic effects come with the amp. But I roll off the tweeter when I am using this amp.
    Overall, they are both different and get the job done, depending on the musical gig I am playing.

pale fire likes this.
  4. Infi-del

Infi-del Member

Being a Class D amp... do you not notice a lacking in the high end? Pedal steels can get up there can't they? The GK gives you full range?

Can the Fishman drive a cab? Or are you limited to it's on-board speakers? I mean I could always pull the wires and match the impedance... but it'd be nice if it just had a speaker out.

5. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

I think the best bet for acoustic instruments is to get a nice powered PA speaker and an acoustic preamp. An acoustic preamp will have the correct type of output to feed to a powered speaker (or a mixer) and will be voiced for acoustic instruments.

jcarpenter likes this.
  6. 335guy

335guy Member

A small D class power amp and a quality acoustic guitar preamp should get you there. If you got a stereo power amp, you could use two different cabs or run it bi-amped with a crossover. One side of the amp for the lows and one for the highs. It depends on your speaker config.

Alternately, while expensive and hard to get, Walter Woods amp heads are legendary. They work for bass or guitar. http://www.bottomwave.com/WalterWoods/M450.htm

Steve Hotra likes this.
  7. Infi-del

Infi-del Member

Some excellent advice there. And I see your point on the tweets. I bet they would amplify that splatty sound that kills the natural feel.

8. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

I am also a big fan of rack mounting. If all the pieces are shallow, you can get a rack case made for shallow / effects units (lighter and smaller).....that way, everything is wired in the back and easy to pack up. When I show up with a rack system, I just take off the covers and plug it in.

But - yes, floor / pedal type acoustic pre-amps are great, too....

9. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

No, the Fishman can't drive a cab. Yes you are limited to their speaker system.
    Again, it has enough low end for my applications.