Acoustic into PA-Is there anything to warm up the sound?

archtopjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Doing an acoustic gig with 2 guitars and 2 vocals. Everything is direct into a small PA. Is there anything I can put between my guitar and the PA that will warm up the sound that doesn't cost a fortune?

TIA

gitman

i don't think the PA is your problem but the pickup in the guitar. there is an ever growing number pf outboard pre-amps/colorizers/enhancers out there so you just HAVE TO GET OUT THERE and try as many as you can get hold of. i would not base my choice on forum-advice only and you'll surely get a lot of informed info over here :
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php
go to the electrified section and do a search first.
have faith, be patient and good luck - you'll get there !

Singin' Dave

L.R. Baggs ParaAcoustic DI (aka PADI)

Outstanding acoustic pre-amp with DI out, parametric EQ, phase invert, notch filter, fx loop (for tuner etc.) and more. Size of a stomp box and well worth it. I use mine event with guitars with onboard preamps. Can be found for $100 used and rugged great piece of gear. Prefer it to bells and whistes Venue model.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Playing a Martin OMCPA3. Electronics built in.
http://www.fishman.com/products/view/f1-aura

That's onboard on your guitar -pretty darn hardcore already. The only thing it doesn't have would be EQ and Compressor (edit oh it DOES have those. hmm. uh oh), which are available either on this kinda thing:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...&zmam=89202644&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=AuraSpectDI

But it's a shame to get this since the rest of the stuff is already on your guitar, so try out some dedicated EQ or compressors instead?

edit - just saw that he already has onboard everything. hmm. well, you got me! Maybe move to a onboard mic blend to go with it?

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Gold Supporting Member
L.R. Baggs ParaAcoustic DI (aka PADI)

Outstanding acoustic pre-amp with DI out, parametric EQ, phase invert, notch filter, fx loop (for tuner etc.) and more. Size of a stomp box and well worth it. I use mine event with guitars with onboard preamps. Can be found for $100 used and rugged great piece of gear. Prefer it to bells and whistes Venue model.
this

tone4days

Silver Supporting Member
D-TAR mama bear
it is a very impressive box ... i use it for a solidbody electric piezo bridge and it is outstanding for live use .... with warming up an actual acoustic, it is even better

HIGHLY recommend
t4d

sixty2strat

I have an early 70's guild that is warm to start with. i got it with a martin thin line pickup. the pickup was weak and shrill till I got a fishman pre amp. now I get a warm acoustic sound not the shrill brittle sound you hear so much. Been using this set up for 15 year almost and it works wonderefully

sixty2strat

very old school but a mic works well. best tone I ever got on my dobro was a macintrye pickup and an SM57 blended. It's a hassel if your not used to it oryou move a lot but the live recording done from a basic dat and a mic set up was killer.

Yep try one of these MXR 6 band eq's, everybody thinks it's a joke till they hear it. Adds depth and warmth and gets rid of the piezo quack for cheap

plexi

aaron1433

A microphone wins every time. That said, I almost always use a K&K pure mini into a Avalon U5. Sometimes I'll use the eq presets and sometimes not, depending on the room. It's a nice sound, but it's still inherently different than the sound of the guitar on it's own.

elishalyx

what kind of PA are you going into? i think that's a lot more important than all these pre-amps. a regular DI like a countryman type 85 with a decent PA and your martin with EQ will get a guitar warm enough imo.

Trending Topics