• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Acoustic Luthier in Chicago

ericghanus

Ive got a 1949 Martin O-18 that’s a family heirloom in need of some work. Most likely a neck reset, some fret work, and replacing the tuners. Does anyone have a recommendation for a trusted vintage Martin luthier in Chicago? I’ve been using CME lately but didn’t know if anyone had other places they’ve used. Chicago Fret Works has a lot of good reviews online as well.

Thanks!

3waytie4last

oblong
Platinum Supporting Member
I would go with Chicago Fret Works. I bought a 1952 J-45 that needed work and they did a really good job with it. It probably needed a neck reset but the cost would be more than it was worth and they were able to plane the board and refret it to get it playing great. I couldn't be happier with their service.

ericghanus

I would go with Chicago Fret Works. I bought a 1952 J-45 that needed work and they did a really good job with it. It probably needed a neck reset but the cost would be more than it was worth and they were able to plane the board and refret it to get it playing great. I couldn't be happier with their service.
Good to know. Thanks,

3waytie4last

oblong
You should talk to Geoff Benge, too.
I did, years ago because I got referred to him. So I had him refret my main strat and he not only did a bad job with the refret, but he broke the bridge mount stock so that I had to make my guitar a blocked bridge. Which was funny, because the bridge had nothing to do with the work I was requesting.

But...maybe he's learned since then. :rolleyes:

Rob 62

Well - my first post in nearly three years, and it immediately went south. Thanks for reminding me of why I quit visiting the Gear Page.

ericghanus

Well - my first post in nearly three years, and it immediately went south. Thanks for reminding me of why I quit visiting the Gear Page.
Thanks for your help. What work did he do for you? Is he located at a shop or on his own?

3waytie4last

oblong
Sorry to hurt your feelings. But the person you recommended did irreparable damage to my number one guitar that was a very special gift to me from my father. This happened a long time ago, so maybe I was just one of his "learning projects" and he is much better at guitar repair now. However, I would be doing the OP a disservice if I didn't tell him of my experience with your recommendation.

samarshll

Rick Cremer of Cremer guitar works in North Aurora. He has done restorations of old Martins, Gibsons, and vintage instruments. His work is meticulous. He has a 13 week wait list though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom