1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Acoustic noodling

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by gitman, Jul 10, 2008.

1. gitman

gitman Member

2. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

nice mic. i thought you were flatpicking the melody but then i heard some finger. very cool.

3. gitman

gitman Member

the mic i used is a Microtech-Gefell M-300, a small condensor suggested to me by some respectable engineers. the tone i get is nice but it's not yet as full and intimate as i would like , at least when recording my nylonstring. is there an industry standard for recording nylonstring guitars that differs from mics used for steelstrings ? i am not going for the most sparkle here but as i mentioned, warmth, depth , intimacy and and a really good presence is what i would like to achieve. the interface i used is an Apogee Duet by the way.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I liked the sound of it, though it is a bit heavy on the attack. Where did you have the mic placed?

Bryan

5. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Luv that tune & your tone Christian ...
    Makes a great Bossa ... good idea & nice execution ...

Mind if I use it in my act ....? :)

6. gitman

gitman Member

of course ! i love playing these older tunes and sometimes they surprise you when you try out some different tempos, rhythms etc.- great fun !

7. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

i started using a little tube preamp a friend loaned me before running into my firewire interface, i was just using an MXL 990 but the difference was clear even with that mic that it warmed it up a bit. I would like to get a tube compressor as well but i dont record enough to merit it.

just a thought to help warm it up possibly. Amazing sounding none the less :D

8. gitman

gitman Member

thanks for the kind words ! this was just a "finger-exercise" so to speak, just to try out some mic-technique. i know that a good tube-preamp would help but before i spend even more money (a good and worthwhile one is not cheap...) i have to look to maximize the effect with what i have- Logic offers many possible tools to shape the tone after the recording but i have yet not really delved into the different eq's, compressors etc. i'm always afraid to lose the naturalness of the original instrument.... what do you guys use as a plug-in in such cases ?

9. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Very nice!
    (Heard it yesterday and forgot to acknowledge :))