Acoustic noodling

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by gitman, Jul 10, 2008.

1. gitman

gitman Member

2. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

nice mic. i thought you were flatpicking the melody but then i heard some finger. very cool.

3. gitman

gitman Member

the mic i used is a Microtech-Gefell M-300, a small condensor suggested to me by some respectable engineers. the tone i get is nice but it's not yet as full and intimate as i would like , at least when recording my nylonstring. is there an industry standard for recording nylonstring guitars that differs from mics used for steelstrings ? i am not going for the most sparkle here but as i mentioned, warmth, depth , intimacy and and a really good presence is what i would like to achieve. the interface i used is an Apogee Duet by the way.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I liked the sound of it, though it is a bit heavy on the attack. Where did you have the mic placed?

Bryan

5. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Luv that tune & your tone Christian ...
    Makes a great Bossa ... good idea & nice execution ...

Mind if I use it in my act ....? :)

6. gitman

gitman Member

of course ! i love playing these older tunes and sometimes they surprise you when you try out some different tempos, rhythms etc.- great fun !

7. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

i started using a little tube preamp a friend loaned me before running into my firewire interface, i was just using an MXL 990 but the difference was clear even with that mic that it warmed it up a bit. I would like to get a tube compressor as well but i dont record enough to merit it.

just a thought to help warm it up possibly. Amazing sounding none the less :D

8. gitman

gitman Member

thanks for the kind words ! this was just a "finger-exercise" so to speak, just to try out some mic-technique. i know that a good tube-preamp would help but before i spend even more money (a good and worthwhile one is not cheap...) i have to look to maximize the effect with what i have- Logic offers many possible tools to shape the tone after the recording but i have yet not really delved into the different eq's, compressors etc. i'm always afraid to lose the naturalness of the original instrument.... what do you guys use as a plug-in in such cases ?

9. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Very nice!
    (Heard it yesterday and forgot to acknowledge :))