Acoustic PA set up advice

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Gas-man, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

For acoustic gigs I am going to run two EV 12 powered speakers.

The question is--should I use one as a monitor on the ground facing me and have one on a stick facing the audience, or put both on sticks and aim one of them closer to me so I can hear myself?

2. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

It depends on how big the room is, and where you need to throw the sound.

If it's a small bar or coffeehouse, you could probably get by using one as a monitor and the other pointing outwards. It might be better though, depending on what you're using for a mic, to have both used as mains placed just behind you so that you hear everything as it's being projected to the audience.

3. lschwart

lschwart Member

For a lot of gigs, you may actually be more than fine with just one of those on a stand behind you and up on a speaker stand above your head. If the volume you need puts you into feedback territory with that configuration, you can certainly put one speaker out in front and use the other as a monitor, but you might need both out front--and in that case you'll either have to split the difference between being behind and in front of the speakers, or you'll need a little monitor speaker or in-ear of some kind. A lot depends on how noisy the room is, not to mention all its other acoustical characteristics and how big the stage space is etc. Also, you're ability to use one of those speakers or any speaker as a holdback monitor will also depend a lot on what kind of pickup you have in your guitar (or if you're mic'ing it) and the pattern of your vocal mic.

Louis

4. dmw319

dmw319 Member

In my opinion, if you can hear yourself fine by proximity effect, don't worry about the house mix and point them both at the audience.

5. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

I've done exactly that with K10s. One on a stick, one as monitor. Initially I thought one K10 would be fine as it had great dispersal, but once I was in a live environment that kinda went south. So now I monitor

6. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

My Duo does 2 K12s on poles and use In Ear monitors. (I don't like for monitors for this situation as they add so much volume to the over volume in the venue.

If you monitor with the FOH.. you have to put them behind you and work out Feedback suppression. Can be done...