Acoustic Player Buying First Electric - American Special Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by denthird, Jan 23, 2012.

1. denthird

denthird Member

Alright folks... looking for some confirmation. I am looking to buy my first Electric Guitar. I am in love with the American Vintage '52 Telecaster, but if I want to hear my new guitar... and be able to afford an amp too, I can't be spending all $1,400-$1,500 on the guitar. So, that brings me to the American Special which I figure can afford me the guitar, a nice home practice amp (open to recommendations), and a hard shell case. Am I barking up the right tree?

Thanks for your input!

Dennis

PS - not sure if it matters, but I own or have owned these acoustics:

Taylor 314ce
    Taylor 815ce (jumbo)
    McPherson - Redwood/Rosewood
    Breedlove Focus SE - Redwood/Rosewood
    (2) Takamine G Series
    Baby Taylor
    Ibanez - entry acoustic

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

A tele is, imho, the smartest first electric for you, and the American Specials are awesome... I think it comes with a case, if not, consider a good gig bag to save a few bucks. Really, they work out pretty well, especially for a rugged guitar like a tele.

Fender has some great amp choices there... to keep it in your price range, I'd look at Pro Junior, maybe Blues Junior, or used Deluxe Reverb Reissue (I have a cool red one FS in the emporium, btw... but honestly, I think one of the Juniors makes an awesome first amp, especially with that guitar).

3. magilla

magilla Chasing those soulful sounds. Silver Supporting Member

The best thing to do would be to go put your hands on a couple and see what you like as far as neck profile, fingerboard radius and fret wire go. The American Specials kind of have their own thing going on, with the Jumbo Frets and hotter, brighter pickups. It's a lot of Tele for the money. Comes with a bag, as opposed to the case the American Standard guitars come with.

It's also worth checking out some of the cool stuff Fender's been putting out lately in the ~$600 price point (those ones with the noiseless pickups and active mid boost are kind of neat).

4. djg714

djg714 Member

A+ for the American Special. Great guitar.

5. denthird

denthird Member

Thanks for the replies... I went with the American Special Tele in Olympic White. I'm going to try out a couple of amps before I make a final decision. Taking the advice to check out the Fender amps listed above and also the new Ibanez Tubescreamer combo or head and cab ... saw those for the first time today. I'm gonna spend some more time listening before I pull the trigger on something... any more advice there?

Thanks again!

Dennis

6. dlmjr2

dlmjr2 Member

I like the Amer Specials if you like a thinner neck but....check out the Baja as well and my absolute favorite amp of late is the....Pro Junior with a couple of pedals. I can't believe how good my Baja sounds through it and loud enough to gig with.