Acoustic player wanting to learn some death metal riffs. :)

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by sage97, Feb 24, 2008.

1. sage97

sage97 Member

I know it sounds funny. I'm laughing with you.

Just for kicks, I'd like to learn some really heavy drop tuned chugga chugga scooped rhythm riffs. Intermediate skill level.

I thought the first thing I need to do is listen to some bands but I absolutely have no clue where to begin.

I've seen band names like Lamb of God and Slipknot but have never heard any of their music. Which ones get some air play? I'd like to be at least familiar with their music. That song "put the bodies on the floor" or something sounds pretty cool.

Any suggestions?

2. gennation

gennation Member

Well, start by dropping your low E string down the D, for drop D tuning. The real heavy stuff might even take that drop D and down tune every string another whole-step to a step and a half.

Now any riff you can come up with on the low string, you can at the A and D strings to, to get that think chord sound.

That's a start.

Lamb Of God is a good one to start with. Just go to youtube.com and type that name in, there's a TON of vids from them. You'll get caught up pretty quick.

There's a band from the 80's that I listen to now and then named Necrophagia. It's much raw'er than todays death metal, but it's some serious death metal. I think back as a kid reading Fangoria magazines and think, "man, this would've been the best music to listen to while reading those mags."

3. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Listen to the group Death from the 80's-90's. Seriously, I just listened to a CD I have of theirs I bought back in the day, Spiritual Healing, and the riffs do not seem like they would be hard to learn. I did pop the CD out after about the 3rd song, just is not for me these days.

4. vernplum

vernplum Member

I'd start with the previous generation of thrashers, i.e. Slayer (South of Heaven, Reign in Blood) , Metallica (Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets), Megadeth (So Far, So Good, So what..., Rust In Peace), Sepultura (Beneath the Remains, Arise).

...after all, (mis)quoting Clapton "if you want to play like me, don't listen to me, listen to my influences".

5. sage97

sage97 Member

Thanks guys. Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

6. DemonOfTheFall

DemonOfTheFall Member

Some nice Lamb of God songs to try - Laid to Rest, Hourglass, Redneck.

I wouldn't call Lamb of God or Slipknot as death metal though. I'd strongly recommend anything by Death. Excellent riffs, nice solos too. Besides, you won't have to tune to anything below D. If you are looking for something more technical, try Carcass - stuff from their Heartwork album.

7. gennation

gennation Member

Redneck is a bas ass tune.

Yeah, I guess your right about calling them death metal. I guess Cradle of Filth would fit the bill better.

8. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Oh yeah, Carcass!! They tune down to B and are EXCELLENT guitarists.

9. sage97

sage97 Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess it doesn't have to be death metal. I just really want to play a couple of heavy tunes that does not sound like classic rock or hair band rock. I don't if "nu-metal" may be more appropriate.

Like I said, I am an acoustic guy (James Taylor, Jim Croce, Neil Young type songs) but thought it would be awesome to play something completely different.

Thanks again.

10. spacelord

spacelord Member

Slayer are the best at what they do. They are brutal, without getting into the cookie monster singing. A couple of good songs to try from the Reign in Blood CD are Angel of Death and Raining Blood.

If you're looking for some good Slipknot songs, I'd recommend Before I Forget or The Heretic Anthem.

The "Bodies" song you are referring to is by Drowning Pool.. of their first album, called Sinner.

11. The Captain

The Captain Member

Pretty much all Metallica sounds great on acoustic. Listen to Rodrigo y Gabriel, they do Orion (MOP) and One (AJFA). Both those songs are great to do on acoustic, Orion is more riff oriented, One has awesome arpeggio passages.