Acoustic players - melodic

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by robelinda2, Feb 22, 2009.

1. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Over the years Ive been drawn to learning all the showstopping acoustic tunes by Tommy Emmanuel, Chet Atkins etc, but when i'm all alone playing my acoustics I always end up playing and writing nice little melodic ballads, it seems all the acoustic guys I listen too mostly do uptempo flashy stuff, and the odd slow ballad chucked in. Are there any solo acoustic guys I should be listening to that play without having to show off technically? For instance I love Tommy's "Those Who Wait", "Up From Down Under", and "Amy", those sorts of tunes are so beautiful and I can listen to them easily, i'm tired of flashy stuff, my ears want melodies!!!!!!

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

3. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

Get thee a copy of "Intuite" by Pierre Bensusan!

:BEER

4. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

I have liked what Ive heard of Ed Gerhard, i'll find more, thanks! It seems every new acoustic kid that is getting attention are only focusing on the fast stuff, which is great in moderation, I'm sure there are some beautiful players out there, just gotta find them.

5. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Consider it done! Just bought one off ebay, thanks!

6. Beagle1

Beagle1 Member

Every decent player is going to need to have a mix of BOTH flashy up-tempo tunes, and slower, more melodic songs. I suggest you take another look at Tommy's original rep...at least half of it falls into the slower/melodic category. There is a lot of great stuff there which is challenging to be sure but does not require virtuoso level technique to pull off.

Have you tried to learn songs like "Stay Close To Me," "Since We Met," "Questions," and "I've Always Thought Of You"? Chet is the same way...check out "Happy Again," "Smokey Mountain Lullaby," and his arrangements of "Cheek to Cheek" and "La Vie En Rose." Lots of great melodic stuff there.

Other great melodic acoustic players...Stephen Bennett, Laurence Juber, Doyle Dykes, Ed Gerhard, Pierre Bensusan, John Knowles, Doug Smith, Peppino D'Agostino. Many of these guys (and more) show up to play at the Chet Atkins convention (CAAS) in Nashville every summer so you might want to check that out.

7. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Yep learnt all those Tommy and Chet tunes, years ago, have grown tired of some of them, looking for more stuff, i'll check out those other players you mentioned. I used to play a solo 3 hour acoustic show for about 8 years, wore out just about every Tommy song and a fair heap of Chet, but evntually just got to the point where a different kind of inspiration was needed. Once I heard Ed Gerhard play a rendition of The Water Is Wide, BEAUTIFUL!

I went to the CASS in 1999, amazing players everywhere!

8. DamianL

DamianL Member

9. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

If you can't find something to like about "The Handing Down" by Ed Gerhard.......you just don't like acoustic music.

:AOK

10. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

11. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

Knopfler and Richard Thompson

12. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Just found this on You Tube, GREAT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXnnMpywJOc&feature=channel_page

This thread is turning out to be really great. Ive been playing Tommy Emmanuel/Chet/Doyle Dykes stuff for so long, and I love their work ( who doesnt!) but you cant just keep playing the same set of tunes forever, and there's a type of melodic playing that I think Bensusan and Gerhard play that I really dig, which is totally different to what Tommy does, Ive got lots of listening to do!

There's a guy called Bill Mize who I like too, masterful ballads.

13. DamianL

DamianL Member

I you haven't learnt this Chet classic then you really should...

Again it's quite straightforward and It cheers me up every time I play it...

The following version makes me wanna cry like a baby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeR4G8519vI

14. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Yep Vincent was a staple of my set, great great version that one!!!!

15. YOGA64

YOGA64 Member

Phil Keaggy.....

16. Bren

Bren Member

Ralph Towner is a real joy, very musical. You may want to sample Solo Concert or Ana, or a duet album he did with Gary Peacock called A Closer View.

----
    www.jazzshelf.org

17. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

If you enjoy Bensusan, you might want to check out a guy named Franco Morone as well. The two albums I have, "Guitarea" and "Running Home" both feature beautiful acoustic playing also with totally different roots than the Tommy Emmanuel/Chet Atkins thing.

18. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Thanks, I'll check Franco out.

19. GMAC

GMAC Member