Acoustic players? Vintage acoustic question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrOctagon, Jan 31, 2012.

1. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

This may be a little out of place seeing as there isn't too much "gear" involved but I've recently inherited an old Yamaha acoustic that was my grandmother's. I'd estimate it was made around '68-72 but may have been earlier. This guitar has been sitting untouched in an attic for years so the question is, what do I need to do to get this guitar ready to play? I'm afraid to put strings on because I don't want the neck to be damaged from the tension. Any tips on how to get this ready to play? I don't really want to bring it to a luthier and have it cost me $100 to fix for something I could've done myself. Thanks guys any and all help is appreciated.

2. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Member

Chances are that it won't cost you quite that much. I would take it to a shop and have it checked out.

I can almost guarantee the truss rod will need to be adjusted after sitting in an attic for that long. In addition, the bridge may be lifting. Better safe than sorry. Most shops will to a basic set up and re-string for less than $50.

3. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

It will generally cost you nothing to take it to a luthier for an evaluation. I know when a customer has come to me with a similar situation, if I believe the owner can take care of it, I will advise them and send them packing, so I do not have to do it!

I would be interested to see a Yamaha acoustic guitar from "68-72", as I never have before!

4. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

Best to take it to someone who can evaluate it in person. It's hard to say without seeing it in person.

5. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

What is the model number? If it's an FG180 with the red label (Nippon Gakki) you'll have a fine and collectable instrument well-worth spending a little cash on restoring it to playing condition.
    Be warned though, the necks on those models were fixed with epoxy glue and are a luthier's nightmare to get off if the neck needs a re-set, as they frequently do. That's where most of the cost might go.

6. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

The thing is, as well as the cost, I don't even know any good luthiers in my area. I'm in the Montgomery/bucks county/ Philadelphia area if anyone knows someone good I would appreciate it.

7. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Okay, I'll say it....pics?

8. mrbulletbutt

mrbulletbutt Member

huh...this situation seems really common. not a guitar that old but guitars lost in attics. are theyre strings still on it?

9. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

There was when I got it but took them off because they were practically rotted away. So while it was sitting it did but as of right now no. And I'll send pics tonight when I get home

10. MisterTV

MisterTV Supporting Member

A qualified guitar doctor will tell you if the patient can be saved. Don't worry, he's not going to stick you with a bill for hundreds of dollars without telling you first. Bring it in for a simple set up and ask him to call you if major surgery is required.

11. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

I do not know of any personally, but if the Philly/Bucks Co. area is not lousy with giutar repairers, I would be reaaly surprised. Dare I suggest: google???