Acoustic simulator pedal??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SQUAREHEAD, Jul 14, 2006.

1. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

2. psquared

psquared Supporting Member

I had one of those a few years back and in my humble opinion-stay away. Far, far away to be exact. Maybe it works for some folks, but it sounded like a REALLY badly eq'd acoustic tone out of my strats and teles. Maybe I was using it wrong??

3. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

I have never found any acoustic simulators to be worth a damn.

4. SQUAREHEAD

Thanx Tele!
    Now... it goes in front of the amp, right?
    Not in the loop?!

Keith

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

You may want to try out the new AC-3 as well, which uses COSM modelling as opposed to the analog EQ-ing that the AC-2 did.

Having said that, I used to own an AC-2 and actually enjoyed it. For giving the impression of an acoustic, especially in a band mix, I found it excelled. I use a Les Paul btw

Also, an AC-2 is invaluable as an acoustic amp simulator. Simply plug your acoustic into the AC-2, and that into a clean amp, and prepare to be blown away by some great acoustic tone! For this reason alone it is worth having, will save you a small fortune in a dedicated acoustic amplifier.

And yes, it goes in front of the amp.

I also want to add a story that is quite the opposite. I saw a 3 piece bar band play last night, typical guitar, bass, drums. Playing things like "More than a Feeling" and "Here I go again on my own". And get this, the whole time the guitarist played with an ACOUSTIC. That's right, playing 80s hair metal with an acoustic. And it sounded great! The guitarist sang, and the other two did harmonies (which they were surprisingly good at), and the bass and drums provided the hard edge of the 80s songs. And nobody cared that there was no distortion being used at all.

Now if they can do that like that, think of how little it matters if your electric sounds exactly like an acoustic. As Old Tele Man said, just giving the impression is often more than enough

6. SQUAREHEAD

Thanx Bro!
    So... from what I understand, the AC 3 is exactly the same as the AC 2 with additional reverb.
    Anything else different?

Keith

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

As mentioned, the AC-3 uses modelling while the AC-2 just used fancy EQ-ing. I actually prefer Boss's COSM modelling to the Line 6 stuff (I feel it preserves your attack and dynamics rather well), and modelling is generally quite satisfactory at taking you there some of the time.

I haven't yet met anyone who has a/b-ed the two pedals, so I can't give you a straight answer. sorry!

8. Tprince

Tprince Member

I would agree that it's pretty useless. Just adds treble, makes your sounds tinnier and cuts out other frequencies. I used it with humbuckers, but I'm sure it sucks with single coils too.

9. jgyn

jgyn Member

I use my AC-2 solely with my fretless Jazz bass- it's a decent approximation of a stand up bass!