Acoustic Treatment "Curtains"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jkendrick, Mar 19, 2015.

1. jkendrick

jkendrick Supporting Member

I have a practice room in the basement. It's a good space for practice but it's adjacent to the furnace and hot water heater. I'm not looking to soundproof the room, but rather try to mitigate the sound coming from the furnace and hot water heater. Additionally, the bulk of the noise traveling through the house seems to be going through the vents and I'm hoping this will be mitigated as well. I've heard of sound mitigating curtains and I'm wondering a) would they be effective for this purpose, and b) what are the specific brands I should be looking at? Again, I realize a solution like this will only limit noise to a certain extent and will not soundproof the room. Thanks.

2. djluis48

djluis48 Member

Im curious about this too.

3. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

we have sound blankets at work, not sure what brand but you might want to check industrial catalogs.. maybe Grainger or something? Lots of factories uses sound blankets and tarps

4. Madsen

Madsen Member

the general idea i've gotten is that you need mass to absorb bass frequencies. drapes & blankets can help deaden the higher end of the spectrum. the thicker/heavier the better.

i move around a bit & i'm a big fan of Ultratouch which is a denim based insulation. easy to setup & take down without much fuss.
    [​IMG]

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum has a good subsection on acoustics if you wanna check with some experts.
    http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

Good Luck!

5. RLD

RLD Member

I have acoustically treated my studio with diy traps so I have some experience.
    If what you want to do is "mitigate the sound coming from the furnace and hot water heater" then you need to put sound absorbing material between you and the services.
    A curtain would do some, movable baffles with insulation probably more.
    Acoustic treating for your room would help overall but is different from soundproofing.

6. jkendrick

Thanks. I used the term acoustic treatment to differentiate between soundproofing, which I know to be a large and costly task.

I had an idea since posting this. I have a large heavy shag area rug that isn't currently in use. I may try to hang that where I would put the curtains. That way I can see what effect this would have. The room is a small space so I want to keep whatever solution as low profile as possible. But it also has to sit out from the furnace room doors enough to allow proper ventilation.

Thanks for all the replies. Keep 'em coming!

7. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

Are you concerned about this for recording purposes? Or just to mitigate extraneous noise during music practice? There are alternative solutions for recording...

8. jkendrick

More for mitigating extraneous noise. I record some of what I do in there but only as a learning tool, not really for outside consumption.

9. RLD

RLD Member

You can get cheap interior doors from home depot, hinge two together and line one side with insulation...movable, adjustable...something like this.
    [​IMG]

10. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

And be careful how close you get to the furnace & water heater? They need air circulation.

11. jkendrick

Yeah that's exactly why I'm seeking an unconventional solution. Otherwise I'd just seal the room up better with solid doors.

12. jim683

jim683 Member

13. Aaron Mayo

Aaron Mayo Member

Is the furnace in a separate room? If no, building a room around it would knock it down.

If this is already done you could:

play really loud
    use headphones
    turn the furnace off (not practical, maybe) while you're playing

I have a hard time believing curtains, no matter how thick, will help much.

14. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Office cubicle furniture worked for our problem, but you could probably build a portable demising wall (nothing to intricate, just a 2x4 wall with insulating batts covered in plastic) and drape some old packing blankets from the ceiling were appropriate.

15. jkendrick

The room is in the basement and has a closet that houses the water heater and furnace. It's not big (10'x12'), so deadening some of the sound in the room is also desirable. I did a quick diagram which I've attached. The doors to both the furnace closet and the main door are slatted for ventilation. My idea is to hang curtains to completely cover the wall that has the furnace and the main door about a foot out from the wall. I have no illusions that it will eliminate noise either entering the room or leaving the room. I simply want to knock off a few decibels and make the room itself a little more bearable with a full band. The number one desire is to knock down the volume enough that the sound traveling through the vents (barely audible now) won't wake my sleeping twin boys (the only chance I have to play is while they sleep these days).

I'm not sure curtains will have much, if any, effect. But at less than $100 it seems worth trying.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  16. Defendant

Defendant Member

OMG that's a brilliant idea for my recording room!

thx!

17. jkendrick

I went ahead and ordered some curtains here. Thanks for the link. I'm not expecting miracles but for under $100, I'm hoping it will help just enough.

Thanks everyone. I'll try to remember to post my results here.