Acoustic tuners?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by randuro, Feb 16, 2007.

1. randuro

randuro Member

I tried a search with no luck. What are you using to tune your acoustics? I have a Korg DT-10 for my electrics, yet I still use my old AT-2 for my acoustic. I know.... I should be able to tune by ear. But I have this little flaw in my hearing, I always tune the A and G strings slightly flat which the AT-2 confirms. Yet, the sound never seems right to me. So I need a quality acoustic tuner for accuracy. Thanks.

2. PunkyBub

PunkyBub Member

I have a few tuners, but the ones I use for my acoustics are both Boss. For the guitars with pickups I use my TU-2 pedal tuner - you can set them so the leds move left, right or stop depending on if the guitar is flat, sharp or in tune. Easy to see on stage and accurate too.

For the ones without a pickup (and at home) I use a Boss CT-6. It was cheap ($20-$30) and has a built-in mic (unlike the TU-2) and is every bit as accurate as the more expensive TU-2, just not as rugged. Great in-the-case tuner.

I also have a little Korg tuner/metronome that doesn't do very well. I haven't had much luck with the accuracy of that one, but the metronome is killer.

Hope that helps. As always, YMMV!

3. Junebug

Junebug Member

Intellitouch Tuner - clips on headstock, picks up vibrations in wood

4. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

+1 The black one is a little more accurate...sometimes the white one doesn't pick up right away, but both are great

5. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I find I'm using the Planet Waves SOS tuner more and more. IT's only $15 and super accurate.

6. randuro

randuro Member

Thanks for the replies. He's another question. Where do you place the tuner when your tuning and does it matter? I just place it on my thigh closest to the body of the guitar. Are all the built-in mics the same? Seems that component would be critical. Makes me think the Intellitouch would be the way to go, bypasses the whole mic issue.

thanks again

M.

7. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

My experience with the Intellitouch is that I was consistently clamping and re-clamping on the headstock to get it to be sensitive enough to register with consistency........real pain, it's history.

8. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

I use an a-440 fork.

9. da-boogieman

da-boogieman Member

Peterson Virtual Strobe. I have a pickup attachment that clips on the head, but I really don't need it as the built in mic. does just fine. I gave away all of my collection of tuners after getting the Peterson. Really like the sweetened temperaments. I don't gig, so that is not part of my criteria.

10. mattattack

mattattack Member

Turbo Tuner http://www.turbo-tuner.com is my tuner of choice. I got mine for half the price of the Peterson stuff and just as accurate, IMHO. Plus it fits in my guitar case. I did get the Peterson clip-on so I can tune in noisy environments.

11. TomK

TomK Member

+2. Works great on my electrics as well.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.tuners.com/pt1.asp

I think I paid around $38 at retail.

12. bdegrande

bdegrande Member

Intellitouch also. Clips onto the headstock, accurate to 1 cent, can tune acousitcs or even unplugged electrics.

The Peterson is a better tuner (accurate to 1/10th cent), but is larger and not as quick to use.

13. brownacid

brownacid Member

your hardcore, I tune using the fifth and 7th harmonic. Almost always perfect. Sometimes I may be a little flat.

14. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Never felt the need to use a separate tuner for electric or acoustic. All my acoustics have pickups, but if one didn't, I'd sooner pick up a contact mic for tuning than buy a whole new tuner.

I can tune as fast with my strobostomp as I could with a DT 10, and with the SS the result is more reliably accurate. The SS isn't much bigger, just much uglier. DT 10 is still a decent tuner, but I always found myself having to retune a string or 2 by ear, even when they all made the light blue(or green in some cases).

15. westrock

westrock Member

For best results, read the directions. Thumb works better than pick for me.

16. JRenn

JRenn Supporting Member

The white one is the most frustrating little piece of equipment I've ever purchased. Save yourself the trouble and don't buy one. They cut way too many corners in making this one cheaper, in my opinion.

The black one, on the other hand, is a worthy investment. I've had no troubles at all with this one, only that in dark stage environments, it can be hard to read.

17. jayn

jayn Member

My preference is the Tony Rice method...tuning fork and ears :).

In a jam, noise etc., I use an Intellitouch even though it's not that accurate. I've been thinking about changing to an Intelli, but I need to try one to see how accurate they are (lots of the acoustic crowd where I live have these now).

Anyone use the Peterson Strobo Flip or Strobostomp 2? Does the Strobostomp 2 DI work very well?

18. mattattack

mattattack Member

Turbo Tuner. More accurate than a Peterson, cheaper, and smaller. Fits easily in my case. Can't recommend enough! http://www.turbo-tuner.com

19. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

+1 Turbo Tuner - I can't recommend it highly enough. Works just as well on my electrics too.

20. therealting

therealting Member

The Turbo Tuner is truly excellent. Cheaper, smaller, lighter, and also easier to use and FASTER!