Action with capo (1st fret) vs no capo

sws1

My Strat has higher action when playing it without a capo, then when I put a capo on the first fret. The capo doesn't create any additional buzzing higher up the neck.

Does this mean my nut should be filed down to give action more like having a capo?

M

Member 37136

My Strat has higher action when playing it without a capo, then when I put a capo on the first fret. The capo doesn't create any additional buzzing higher up the neck.

Does this mean my nut should be filed down to give action more like having a capo?

Not necessarily; I'd take a more comprehensive approach, looking at nut height, slot depth, saddle height, and neck relief. These all work in conjunctioon with each other, and zeroing in on only one of them can sometimes yield less than desireable results. But it does sound like you could lower your action a bit if you wanted to.

stormin1155

Silver Supporting Member
It means that you possibly could lower the action at the nut without buzzes, but not for sure. If fingering the strings at the first few frets (without the capo) is difficult or causes those notes to go sharp (because you are stretching the string to meet the fret), lowering the nut action might be good. Most guitars are set up with slightly higher action at the first fret than the second fret when capoed at the first fret.

sws1

The neck is pretty straight. Fret the first fret, and top fret, and the string is just barely touching the fret around the 8th/9th fret.

Trending Topics