1. flavaham

flavaham Member

I just bought a new Gibson SG Standard. I need to raise the action. I'm assuming that I just have to raise the bridge to do this. Is this correct? Also, will it screw with the intonation or warp the neck at all to do this? I've never worked on a guitar in this manner so I don't want to screw up my new baby!
    Thanks!

2. benxiwf

benxiwf Member

Yes. Is the action low across the neck or only towards the nut, bridge, center?
    Assuming it is not a truss rod or nut issue, just begin slowly raising the bridge on each side with the thumbwheels - maybe half a turn at a time until it is comfortable. Some people measure exact numbers but I have always set up my guitars by feel with success. If the change is more than minor, it will throw your intonation off as it changes the length of the strings from bridge to nut slightly. It shouldnt be drastic, but check with a tuner after you adjust to your liking.

3. fumbler

fumbler Member

First, let me start by saying good on ya' for admitting that you're a beginner. We all had to start somewhere.

To answer your question: Yes, that's all there is to it. Loosen the strings a bit first then raise the bridge using the thumbwheels. Yes, it might change the intonation a bit. No, it won't warp your neck. Before adjusting action, however, you should check the relief (adjusted with the truss rod).

You can (and should) teach yourself to do a basic (but complete) guitar setup. It's not hard at all. Learn the acronym T.R.A.I.N. (stolen from Ron Thorn). Do the operations in this order:

Tune
    Relief
    Action
    Intonation
    (Noodle)

There is plenty of detailed info available on this board and elsewhere online or especially in Dan Erlewine's book.