Active Pickup w/ passive pickups will

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Sinster, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Sinster

Sinster Member

it work? I wiring my strat with a Active Humbucker for the bridge and keeping the stock middle and neck pickup. What is the best way to wire this up? All my pots are 25k and a stereo plug.

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I don't think the 25K pot will work with the passive pickup. So you have to put the 25K pot(s) before the passive and active pickups meet. I.e. the passive pickup should not have any of those pots in its signal path. It should work though. EMG may have some diagrams to help you. Ask them via email.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you would need to have separate volumes for the active and passive pickups, and you won't be able to have them both on at the same time, as all you will hear will be the active pickup.

4. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Passive pickups will work without a volume. Actives may too. You just can't use a 25K pot for a volume with a passive. It will cut too much of the signal.

5. Sinster

Sinster Member

This is straight from EMG's website.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

sure, the pa2 will work just fine for that. i imagine the trick is to use one side of the 5-way switch just for the front two pickups, sending the master lug on that side to the pa2 rather than jumpering it to the other master lug. the emg will go on the other side of the switch. the output of that side of the switch and the output of the pa2 will both go to the input of the vol pot. your front pickups will now be "active" as well, with all that implies tonally.