Active Volume + Buffer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by decasta, Feb 20, 2012.

1. decasta

decasta Member

Hey guys!

So I've been looking out for some good volume pedals (Goodrich or Hilton) and I've been pretty set on getting passive ones because my musicomlab already has a buffer built into it. I remember hearing that too much buffering is a bad move, but what happens if I used an active volume (such as a Hilton or Goodrich L10K) and use it with my musicomlab after the built in buffer?

2. chops612

chops612 Member

If you put an active VP after your buffered gear it won't hurt anything at all. Though the impedance controls won't have any effect on your pickups as they are already decoupled from the volume pedal. Too many buffers and too many bad buffers can be a bad thing, but you aren't in either of those positions. If you want to do a passive VP just get the low impedance version as it will retain your signal integrity and taper better than a high impedance.

3. decasta

decasta Member

The Goodrich passive volumes seem to have be high impedance. So does that mean I should just get active pedals, such as the hilton or Goodrich 10k pedals?

Or what are some good, low impedance, volume pedals?

4. chops612

chops612 Member

A passive high impedance won't be bad at all, a low impedance will just be better suited as it's load is better matched. Even just a 25K EB would work fine. Something at the price like Hilton or the likes would be because you just physically enjoyed that pedal under your foot. Being active powered won't do anything for you, but the fact it is optical is it's primary benefit. I personally have always found the EB's the perfect feeling under the foot of a standing or sitting guitarist hence why I mod them. Hiltons and Goodrich's are designed for the sitting steel player, though if you dig the feel while standing cool, just awkward for me. Don't stress over your setup, just use the pedal that feels the best for you and if they offer a low impedance version go with it!

5. teleclem

teleclem Member

I do have an active volume pedal (Goodrich H10K) and a dedicated buffer.

That said, the volume pedal sits in its own loop in my true bypass looper (all my pedals are in their own loops - just in case something breaks). So they don't really get used together all the time. I haven't noticed anything with both of them on though (volume full on). So I don't think there should be problems.