Active vs Passive DI

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MLG Audio, Mar 10, 2015.

1. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

Been looking at expanding my DI collection as some recent shows have had me scrambling to borrow a few extras (dudes show up with 4+ keyboards).

What are the real differences between the two options. Currently I only own passive DI boxes. And while they're pretty cheap ones, I never really have much to complain about the quality of signal I'm getting.

Is there a big advantage to going active?

2. Badside

Badside Member

I've always heard:
    Active source -> Passive DI
    Passive source -> Active DI

Though I'm sure this is not set in stone.
    I pretty much only use passive DIs, which are basically just a matching transformer in a box with jacks. They require no power, will outlive a nuclear blast, and can perfectly separate grounds to cure hum issues.
    However, a good transformer is more expensive than a good... op amp chip. But even the 25$ Digiflex boxes have always been up to the task for me. We run our backing tracks through that and the 808 type sounds can shake the house so I guess they don't roll off the low-end much.

3. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I like the extra reliability of a good quality passive DI. I've even had a few occasions where I needed to go from XLR to high impedance 1/4" (backwards) and that his something a typical active unit cannot do. I think active does help if the sources are quite weak, but with keys and bass you will probably have no level problems at all going passive. A well made transformer can actually have less noise than an active circuit. That said, I have a pair Radial JDI units (with Jensen transformers) and they have been rock solid:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e=&network=g&gclid=CMqPl_vensQCFQyEaQodcSUAkw

4. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  5. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

keys are typically 10k to 50k ohms, which works nicely with passive.

A bass guitar is 1M, and needs an active for the intended frequency response. Also some acoustic guitars put out 1M, some are 10k. Have a variety!

The Bo Hansen 1975 active DI is hard to beat for bass.

6. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

Thanks for the input, guys! Seems the general consensus would be to mostly use passives, but have an active on hand for things like bass gtr. That sounds like a plan to me.