• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Actual 24 3/4 Scale Bolt On Neck

chop chop

Other than the inexpensive Chinese necks on Ebay, who makes an actual 24 3/4 (24.566...) scale bolt on Strat/Tele neck? NOT a conversion neck. I've checked Musikraft, USACG, BGP, Warmoth... Only conversion necks - Anyone?

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
How are you differentiating between a conversion neck and an "actual" short-scale neck? What kind of body are you going to attach this to?

chop chop

How are you differentiating between a conversion neck and an "actual" short-scale neck? What kind of body are you going to attach this to?
It's for a custom body/guitar I'm putting together for myself which I'd like to have a "Gibson" scale length.

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
Again... how do you distinguish a conversion neck from an "actual" short-scale neck? The "conversion" is really just a marketing word that convinces buyers the neck will work on a Strat/Tele body. It's no different than a neck built for any short-scale bolt-on guitar. All that matters is that the bridge is located so that it intonates.

chop chop

Again... how do you distinguish a conversion neck from an "actual" short-scale neck? The "conversion" is really just a marketing word that convinces buyers the neck will work on a Strat/Tele body. It's no different than a neck built for any short-scale bolt-on guitar. All that matters is that the bridge is located so that it intonates.
So just get a 24 3/4 conversion neck and locate the bridge for 25 1/2 and be done with it?

smallbutmighty

I do my own stunts.
Silver Supporting Member
It's that last sentence that makes it a "conversion" neck. It's more than marketing. It's a neck that has been made to work on a Strat or Tele body without having to change the stock location of the bridge.

If you are building a body from scratch and can locate the bridge wherever you want, you could also use a conversion neck. (Which I think is the point you are trying to make.)

What you can't do is assume that a conversion neck will work on any old bolt-on body that was designed with a 24-3/4" scale natively.

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
It's that last sentence that makes it a "conversion" neck. It's more than marketing. It's a neck that has been made to work on a Strat or Tele body without having to change the stock location of the bridge.

If you are building a body from scratch and can locate the bridge wherever you want, you could also use a conversion neck. (Which I think is the point you are trying to make.)

What you can't do is assume that a conversion neck will work on any old bolt-on body that was designed with a 24-3/4" scale natively.
The fact that you can use it on many bodies that were designed for a 24.75" scale makes it nothing more than a marketing term.

If the bridge and nut are the same distance apart, you're all set. This is a fundamental part of the design regardless of scale length. Not all 25.5" necks will work on a Strat/Tele either; if the joint is moved too far relative to the nut, you're still out of luck.

smallbutmighty

I do my own stunts.
Silver Supporting Member
The fact that you can use it on many bodies that were designed for a 24.75" scale makes it nothing more than a marketing term.

If the bridge and nut are the same distance apart, you're all set. This is a fundamental part of the design regardless of scale length. Not all 25.5" necks will work on a Strat/Tele either; if the joint is moved too far relative to the nut, you're still out of luck.

Which ones?

It's also worth mentioning that the term "conversion neck" includes baritone conversion necks as well. At least for Warmoth, anyway.

Last edited:

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
Which ones?
You mean which 25.5" necks won't fit on a Fender? There are examples from Guild, Hamer, any number of boutique-y builders. Some old Squiers weren't interchangeable with Fender parts, though that may not be the case with new ones.

smallbutmighty

I do my own stunts.
Silver Supporting Member
You mean which 25.5" necks won't fit on a Fender? There are examples from Guild, Hamer, any number of boutique-y builders. Some old Squiers weren't interchangeable with Fender parts, though that may not be the case with new ones.
Oh, sorry. No, I was curious what native 24-3/4" scale bolt-on guitars are out there are that a 24-3/4" conversion replacement neck will work on.

Tony Done

I have a Warmoth short scale conversion neck for a standard style strat body. It is 24.75, Pro style with the Gotoh side adjustment for neck relief, which works very well. No bridge location/intonation problems at all.

chop chop

Oh, sorry. No, I was curious what native 24-3/4" scale bolt-on guitars are out there are that a 24-3/4" conversion replacement neck will work on.
My thoughts exactly - I don't believe a 24 3/4 conversion neck will work on ANY native 24 3/4 guitar - Sooo... let's imagine the body I've built already has the bridge located at 24 3/4 - My original question: Who makes an actual, true 24 3/4 bolt on neck?

Top Bottom