Actual experience with Autism, How much do you have?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by El Caballo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. El Caballo

El Caballo Retired bar hopping musician Supporting Member

I have a parent diagnosed with ASD and two children diagnosed with ASD. What is yours? I live autism 24/7/365! Please....tell me all about it!

This is in response to the ASD/Vaccine thead, most of which is absolute BS.

2. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Man, my heart goes out to you and yours, sincerely.

The hardest unforseen knock, I think, is people will assume you are so invested, emotionally, in the circumstances your family is in, that you won't be able to study the research and science objectively. So, the person with the most significant personal impact on the life of his loved ones, gets the smallest possible voice.

Which is truly rotten, but I see the same thing happen in other contexts. I have no idea what you can do to beat that added insult......I wish I did.

3. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

We have a grandson aged 9 diagnosed with "mild to moderate" autism.

Agree on your BS remark.

4. vintage saddles

vintage saddles Supporting Member

If you are at all sensitive to the topic, then stay out of that thread. I'm not reading it.

But yeah, two boys, both with ASD. Very high functioning but lots of work to get where we are.

Best to you and yours.

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Wife's son. Lot's of work. Lot's of love.

6. DamianL

DamianL Member

Much professional experience.

The thread in question wandered all over the place with the occasional nut chipping in their 2cents but there was also some very clear discussion in there too...the Internet in a nutshell..

D

7. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

My dads brother is very developmentally disabled, hes probaby 60 now and has never said a word in his life, he can kind of communicate in other ways like pointing at pictures, not sure he ever recognized my dad. He certainly doesnt know who i am though Ive known him my whole life. He has some pretty awesome abilities, like the ability to spin almost anything on his index finger. My grandparents were told he is severly autistic

8. Norsegod

Norsegod Member

Please explain what the "absolute BS" was.

Also, with all do respect, how does having a close connection to autism make you an expert on immunology and virology.
    I was a microbiology major and have spent years taking a whole lot of immunology, bio chem, bacteriology, virology etc.

Please explain your outrage.
    As far as I know no one showed a lack of respect for those who suffer from autism.

9. tonyhay

tonyhay Supporting Member

My younger son has ASD.
    I can see why the OP feels the way he does. Thanks for starting the thread, and
    I wish you all the best.
    I probably won't be participating in those vaccine threads any more. They're more of a pep rally for the faithful than a discussion.

10. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Had a GF once with a mild autism diagnosis (I forget the specifics). That was an emotional pony ride - Sweet sweet woman, but communication, especially emotionally charged stuff, could be a moving target at the best of times

11. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I teach middle school. I've been around it quiet a bit in 13 years. Not living it though 24/7.

12. camstudio

camstudio Member

I worked with autistic adults across the spectrum for a short while. It was an eye opening and humbling experience. Everyone is unique. Carers deserve a lot of respect for an often thankless task of helping people through everyday tasks that the majority take for granted.

13. auger-1

auger-1 Member

My sister in-law....has three boys....two are autistic and her and her husband...
    have been dealing with this 24/7 for a long time....like 23 or 24 years...
    their youngest (16) is not Autistic...
    She was head of the autism society in her province,for a number of years as well..
    in order to be on top of all the studies and progressive work...and to give her boys...
    the best advantages they could have...
    I don't know how she does it since oldest one is not verbal at all...and the other is verbal and
    is so desperate to be like other youth's his age.
    Thankfully most of his info comes from online sources and he thinks the drinking age is
    21 like it is in the USA and not 19....otherwise...my sister-inlaw has to figure out a way around him drinking...because that's what he see's portrayed on you tube...though she does her best at limiting his content....drinking shows up practically everywhere.
    Its a life I can not imagine in my wildest...dreams....
    but to them its their reality.....

14. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Maybe you can explain what kind of discussion you would ideally like to see.

15. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

16. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Member

My son has autism. Every day is autism awareness day, I like to say.

ripgtr likes this.
  17. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

18. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Supporting Member

Six year old diagnose asd at 2. Definitely 24/7/365. It's my wife's full time-plus job, and my mornings, nights and weekends. But I've learned a lot about life, and about myself. We've done a lot of biomed, soft aba for a couple years, and now a full time son rise program. Son Rise changed our lives, it's awesome. In terms of therapy and recovery it isn't the only thing, but we do everything with the son rise.mindset.

19. karmadave

karmadave Member

My daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers (ASD) at age 3 1/2. She turns 17 today. It's been an adventure, for sure, but she is the sweetest, most lovable person I know. She's also had some 'challenges'. Good luck to all the parents, with kids on the Autistic Spectrum.

20. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

My son (13) is autistic.