actual ohms on 16 ohm cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JBPlanck, Feb 3, 2012.

1. JBPlanck

JBPlanck Member

Just checking the ohms on a 4x12 cab with my ohm meter, reads 14 ohms (Crate 80s 4x12). On my bogner over-sized 2x12 cab it reads 12 ohms.

Is this OK? How close to 16 ohms should I be seeing? I just read the ohms of a cable plugged into the speaker jack on the back of the each cab individually.

2. Onioner

Onioner Member

Actual measurements will always be lower. I believe it depends on the temperature. Totally normal.

3. JBPlanck

JBPlanck Member

Thanks, after googling a bit more I found the following info at http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.htm

"However, with raw speakers and many cabinets, the ohmmeter function of a digital multimeter can help you identify what the impedance of the speaker should be. Generally, the reading given by an ohmmeter will be about 2/3 to 3/4 of the impedance of the speaker. So, a 4 ohm speaker will typically measure about 2.5 - 3 ohms, and an 8 ohm speaker will typically read about 5-6 ohms, while a 16 ohm speaker will measure around 12 ohms."

I did in fact use a digital ohm meter so I feel a bit better based on your comment and the above information.

4. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

It's gonna vary. You're seeing that on yer meter. Nuttin' to worry about. You have a cumulative total of all speakers. It doesn't surprise me at all that you're seeing such a wide range of readings. I'm looking at a Fleabay 10" 8 ohm speaker that reads 5.1 ohms for a 4 ohm app. I wouldn't consider this a problem at all.

5. rawpower

rawpower Member

there is resistance and then their is inductance, and an ohm meter does not read inductance. Inductance has to do with electrical fields and frequency and gets a little complicated, all you need to know is it works against the flow of electrical current and that speaker that has a 12 ohm resistance will act as if it is 16 ohms when in use and put a 16 ohm load on your amp.

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Plus, impedance has a frequency dependent component.

7. rawpower

rawpower Member

I think i mentioned that, inductance is entirely dependent on frequency I=1/(2πfL)
    and it is the sum of inductance and resistance that makes impedance. I think we are taking this to far. just look at my first post

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

That's all I was emphasizing, so you can't measure it with a DC meter...yes, nitty-picky too much info:bonk

9. KWCabs

KWCabs Member

It will vary brand to brand and piece to piece. Most companies will be within 1.5 ohms of the rated number. Is there a problem putting a 12 into a 16 or whatever, that totally depends on the amp build. Some amps can handle a mismatch very well some will blow up and of course there is a range on all. An actual 12 ohm that says 16 well that's a pretty big range, but chances are it won't do anything.

10. JBPlanck

JBPlanck Member

All great info, thanks to all.

11. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

It's confusing, especially to the layman...DC resistance & AC impedance are different things, but both are measured in "ohms". I often wished they'd label AC impedance something like "aohms"...but it is what it is.

12. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

Just think of it like apple products! you buy a 32GIG iPad............. you get a 29GIG iPad actually.......

13. charveldan

charveldan Senior Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul
    All three of my 16 ohm Vintage Marshall cabs measure between 13 & 14 ohms.
    Things like diameter of voice coil wire & the wire harness can be at play.

14. megatonic

megatonic Member

I just measured my 1960a cab & it read 14.5, so I guess it's fine.

15. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

I predict this thread will be 15 pages by Friday next.

16. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Yes, and the vast majority of the posts will refuse to recognize that the reason their dmm is showing a number different from the rating of the speaker is because they are measuring DC resistance ...

17. amptex

amptex Supporting Member

Close...the quantity you're referring to is reactance, not inductance (which is measured in henries). There are two types of reactance - inductive and capacitave.

Resistance and reactance combine to form impedance, but it's not simply a summation.

18. megatonic

megatonic Member

So, would it be the skin effect that accounts for the 14.5 ohm reading on my 16 ohm cab?

19. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

What accounts for the difference is that you are not measuring the impedance. You are measuring the DC resistance (assuming you're measuring with a dmm set to measure resistance).

20. megatonic

megatonic Member

In this case, does it really matter as long as we understand that it's normal if we get a reading with a dmm on the impedance (ohm symbol) setting that is slightly less than the cabinet rating?

Last edited: May 10, 2015