Actual relics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ferrinbonn, Jul 9, 2019.

1. ferrinbonn

ferrinbonn Member

After seeing some YouTube content about new Fender custom shop models with 75% of the paint missing, I looked on Reverb for actual 1950s Strats to see what they looked like. Turns out, all of them had finishes in vastly better shape than a lot of the heavy relics that are being sold new right now.

https://reverb.com/marketplace/elec...ratocaster&year_min=1950&year_max=1960&page=4

I'm not bashing those who like a reliced guitar, lest this turn into another unneeded relic argument thread. Just pointing out something I found interesting.

2. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

That is pretty funny/interesting. I have 2 CS relics that I really love, mainly because of the necks. They're so much more comfortable to play when they're worn down.

PBGas, Urobouros and strat62 like this.
  3. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Well, one thing I’ve learned on the internet is that clean old guitars don’t sound as good as really beat up old guitars. The theory is they got played so much because they were great. Clean ones didn’t get played so much because...

Therefore, if you’re looking at ones that are for sale, you’re seeing the duds, not the keepers.

Again, just using internet logic.

4. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

It’s a cosmetic choice like color or anything else.

People spend way too much time worrying about it

wgs1230, Jven, budglo58 and 16 others like this.
  5. Spooky Action

Spooky Action Member

My guitars are reliced because I hate them.

wgs1230, Kentano2000, orourke and 4 others like this.
  6. strat62

strat62 Member

exactly.

the very 1st thing i do when i've gotten (or built ) a new strat is get out the sandpaper

coltonius and Norrin Radd 1966 like this.
  7. strat62

strat62 Member

I've heard Clapton say almost the exact same thing

gmann likes this.
  8. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Is he a nice guy in person? I’ve always wondered.

9. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

Not sure what to think if you're not trying to start another relic bashing thread. Did you actually think most vintage guitars looked like thise relics???

10. 27sauce

27sauce Member

There’s that internet again.

sixstringfuel and rhinocaster like this.
  11. strat62

strat62 Member

lol. no idea

youtube clip

almesy likes this.
  12. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Some do

13. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

What's cool is that the Custom Shop realized that those vintage guitars were "almost there" and sussed out where the problem was.

Freakin' genius.

Seriously, Fender Custom Shop is great stuff....I like that you can get as worn or as clean as you want at this point. Something for everyone. I dig it!

Germi, SweetClyde99, monty and 3 others like this.
  14. rhinocaster

Interestingly enough Leo changed to rosewood boards because he didn't like the fact that players on TV were wearing through the finish on the maple board so quickly.

Makes me think that most guitars live pretty gentle lives when you realize how easy it is to wear through nitro.

monty and sixstringfuel like this.
  15. Imperfecto

Imperfecto Member

Damn, I came here to talk about guitars made out of the thighbones of saints.

16. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

I prefer guitars that were played by actual saints. Those are the ones with the real mojo.
    It should have a halo around it when you turn out the lights.
    That's my holy grail.

wgs1230 and Gig Young like this.
  17. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Member

All of my many guitars were bought used. And some of them are WAY used. NONE of them look like a heavy relic. Although some have been refinished, I think it was more of a color change preference kind of thing.

Watching SRV at the El Mocambo playing Third Stone From The Sun I can understand how HIS guitar got to looking like it did (that also taught me a whole bunch about how much abuse a guitar can actually take and still stay in heavy service. A real reality check!).

Rory's is another matter. Watching him play with Taste at the Isle Of Wight, despite the fierce playing, I didn't see him do anything that was hard enough on a guitar that would trash it as badly as his was. Maybe the rubbing of the end of his leather jacket sleeve on the guitar... I think I read somewhere it was beat up like that before he got it.

I'd have to think someone would need to put their guitar in the trunk of a car or something without a case and have it rattle around or something in order for things to get that bad. Or be playing in a punk band where people are throwing bottles at you every night.

Even if I played 10h/day I don't think I could put that kind of wear on a guitar without deliberate abuse. I'm getting to a stage in my life where I can devote more hours a day to playing, so I suppose we're going to see...

...but I'd never order a relic from the custom shop personally. Even the good relic jobs, you could spot right away if it's been play-earned as soon as you hear the guy play, haha. But as far as deliberately savaging your instrument for street cred, that just all seems a little dumb to me. It doesn't make the music sound any better.

I'd buy one used because it's custom shop quality (in fact there's one that I am fighting myself not to pull the trigger on right now), but I'd be buying it despite the relicing, not because of it.

18. Gl4th

Gl4th Member

19. brb9911

brb9911 Member

Looks like that one was relic’d by Pete Townsend

20. rhinocaster

Wasn't there the story of Rory's guitar being stolen and then found in a ditch after getting rained on?

speedtaco, apalazzolo, monty and 3 others like this.