ad for oz tourism

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by shane88, Jan 22, 2015.

1. shane88

shane88 Member

2. dohmar

dohmar Member

They're very deadly, but not as common as you'd think. Most snakes slither away rather than fight and only fight when provoked. Generally if you see one you just stand really still till it moves away, or you find another way around to where you need to go. Approaching them can be seen as an act of aggression and they do a few lunges to get you to back off. Browns can be nasty little buggers and prove that theory wrong. I had a mate who stood still while a brown slid past him one the road and the little turd reared up and bit him on his inner thigh, just inches from his tackle.

That said, I'd rather be bitten by a common brown than a king brown (mulga). king browns have nasty venom. bleeding from the eyeballs and internal organs type stuff....

So who's coming over to my place on Australia day? heh.

-D

Edit : My brother is a zookeeper at Adelaide Zoo (herpetology). He has something like 7 snakes in his living room, one of them which is an olive python....

[​IMG]

Not venomous but she has an attitude (not the snake pictured, half the size)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  3. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

4. dohmar

dohmar Member

Like gremlins, Koalas dont like water
    [​IMG]

(and anyone who's not heard an angry koala, they make a ferocious noise... the only reason people think theyre cute is because theyre usually photographed either eating or after a feed. Eucalyptus leaves get koalas high. And they all have chlamydia too)

-D

5. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

^lol, that photo is ****ed up!

Thank god I have security screens on my doors! Damned Koalas be like Australian Chupucabras! Yanks and Poms seem to think they're some kind of cuddle pet :bong

6. rodeodee

rodeodee Member

I've encountered brown snakes quite a few times. The closest encounter was a 2 metre long brown snake hidden in long grass as we walked past. It launched about a foot or 2 into the air as it took off just a few feet in front right across our path.

Last week I was swimming with my young boys when a red-belly black snake swam past us about 3 feet away. Had to grab as many kids under my arms as possible and make a very quick dash to the shore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. dohmar

dohmar Member

^ thankfully it was a red bellied black. theyre very timid as far as snakes goes. still, you wouldnt want your kids near one

Koalas are cute until they climb up your leg and have those wolverine like claws precariously close to the family jewels. Women are mysteriously unafflicted by this fear. I put this down to the Koala being a genetically modified propaganda weapon, which releases cuteness pheromones in order to win the hearts and minds of girls.

-D

8. rodeodee

rodeodee Member

I'm not so sure, I was kayaking years ago when from distance away I saw a snake swimming along. It made a beeline for our kayak even though we were a long distance away. It then tried to get in kayak and I ended having to crack its head with my paddle as it climbed aboard. Twas a red belly.

Father in law remembers after floods snakes would drop from trees into the boat as they were motoring by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Doom Man

Doom Man Member

Gotta be careful of those bunyips and dropbears

10. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

I see snakes all the time myself, especially working FIFO in NW WA. Usually don't blink an eye, but once in a while something captures your attention... like a 1ft thick, 15ft long python smashing a monster bat with an 6ft wingspan in the middle of the road:

[​IMG]

11. dohmar

dohmar Member

^ scrub python. Now those guys have a seriously ****** attitude. My brother wont even keep one a) theyre bigger than olive pythons b) they will bite you if you fart

You must be near the pilbara or the port. I used to work at Olydam, never saw those big boys tho

-D

12. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

Darwin to Derby, but offshore oil/gas projects are my bread and butter.

Reptiles are one thing - yo foreigners - check out this monster NT crocodile:

[​IMG]

But IMO the scariest thing in the top end are Buffalo. 2000lb animals with 6ft wide horns and fast legs... they're the Moose of Australia:

[​IMG]

Lol... am I doing my bit for Aussie tourism?

13. dohmar

dohmar Member

Yeah but water buffalo have 1/10th the personality of a moose. You never saw a bullwinkle buffalo analogue.

And they dont taste anywhere near as good as venison

-D

14. jole

jole Member

13 posts and no 'crikey'!?
    I'm just sick of all the huntsmen in the house every summer. What is it about appearing on the wall just above your head when you wake up that they find so amusing?

15. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I grew up in Australia. There was all kinds of nasty stuff there, but the spiders scared me the most, and that's what I saw the most. Huntsmans were everywhere. I hated those things so much

[​IMG]

16. Bunky

Bunky Member

That crocodile pics is a joke you are making right? That pictures creams photoshopped.

17. jawajt

jawajt Member

Maybe I'm strange, but these pictures make want to visit OZ again. When I was a teenager, I lived in Virginia Beach. The townhouses we lived in often had Aussie visitors, who were on holiday. They would tell me all these stories about Funnel Webs, Death Adders, The Blue Ring Octopus, etc. It all was more fascinating to me, than it was scary. As an adult, I've been lucky enough to visit there twice. I simply loved it there and would go back in a heartbeat.
    The Koala thing is funny. I've had to tell many people (usually women) that they're not quite as cuddly and cute as they seem.

18. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

Unfortunately, it's real mate. This one is about 20ft long - it's a big'n, but not an uncommon size for a healthy male specimen. I think the biggest on record in the NT is about 22-23ft long... a true river monster.

Needless to say you gotta keep a sensible, respectful distance away from animals like this - go into his river, into his domain, you ain't coming out.

19. Glenn D.

Glenn D. Member

Why do you people even go outside?

20. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

Well, ummm;

[​IMG]

But you don't want to be swimming in the northern tropical beaches - if the sharks don't kill you first, then a wee sting from one of the abundant mortally lethal jellyfish will have you done within a few minutes:

[​IMG]

Easy to see when they're fully grown, but even the match-head sized babies will seer your flesh like touching a coal from a fire. Not fun.