• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

AD30 vs. Shiva (EL34)

ryanyearling

I currently have an orange ad30 and i'm flirting with getting a shiva. Can anyone that has played or owned both amps give me their thoughts about the switch. I play rock music that needs only moderate gain.

Here is a link to my band so you can hear the style of music I play:

myspace.com/yearling

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
I haven't ever done a direct comparison, but I owned an Orange AD30 for 4 years, and got a shiva about 9 months ago. But, my housemate owns an AD30 right now, and it is currently set up 4 feet from my shiva.

off the top of my head, the shiva has atleast three times the volumes of the orange, and barely opens up before the orange starts distorting. as far as gain, the orange has less, but it is thicker and more girthy due to a totally different feel in the compression. the orange is far more compressed and the lows are looser compared to the spanking clean and full tight cleans of the shiva. perfectly clean is not in the cards for the orange, or atleast it isn't it's forte. the orange never really gets a lead tone that tickles my fancy, I always used an overdrive pedal through a semi-clean tone.

against that, the shiva's clean is more fender-y, the overdrive is pure jcm but more smooth and refined. it's a natural lead tone, but it can be dialed in for good rhythm tones. between the two you could get a killer range of tones. clean sparkling shiva, semi-clean orange, rhythm crunch orange, ripping lead shiva. covers everything

denial9xs

If you want to ROCK buy the Orange. If you want to noodle around with clean chicken pickin' sounds with your Tele get the Bogner. :Devil

dsmc80

If you want to ROCK buy the Orange. If you want to noodle around with clean chicken pickin' sounds with your Tele get the Bogner. :Devil
I can't tell if this is serious or not.

Regardless, thiscalltoarms explained the differences quite well. My experiences mimic his.

I'd base your purchase in large part based on the stage volumes with which you are playing. If lower (or if you are a home player) I'd probably stick with the Orange. Otherwise, I think the Bogner is a better all around amp.

Joe Porto

Are you basing this on clips you've heard, or did the UPS driver call you and tell you how rockin' your Orange amp is?

freaksho

I haven't ever done a direct comparison, but I owned an Orange AD30 for 4 years, and got a shiva about 9 months ago. But, my housemate owns an AD30 right now, and it is currently set up 4 feet from my shiva.

off the top of my head, the shiva has atleast three times the volumes of the orange, and barely opens up before the orange starts distorting. as far as gain, the orange has less, but it is thicker and more girthy due to a totally different feel in the compression. the orange is far more compressed and the lows are looser compared to the spanking clean and full tight cleans of the shiva. perfectly clean is not in the cards for the orange, or atleast it isn't it's forte. the orange never really gets a lead tone that tickles my fancy, I always used an overdrive pedal through a semi-clean tone.

against that, the shiva's clean is more fender-y, the overdrive is pure jcm but more smooth and refined. it's a natural lead tone, but it can be dialed in for good rhythm tones. between the two you could get a killer range of tones. clean sparkling shiva, semi-clean orange, rhythm crunch orange, ripping lead shiva. covers everything
Shiva is my main amp and before that I had a Rockerverb 50 and I 100% agree with this comparison for these two amps. Yes the AD series is different but from playing them all side by side in stores I'd say the voicing and feel of the RV and AD Oranges are more similar than different, so believe what he said. In summary:

Shiva: more clean headroom, tighter gain tones, generally more bright & open

Orange: looser bottom, thicker, rounder, darker

Trending Topics

Top Bottom