AD900 Problem

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pm250, Jul 28, 2006.

1. pm250

pm250 Member

I`ve just got hold of and original 2 chip Maxon AD900 off ebay, I`ve been after one for a while so imagine my dissapointment when I plug it in ( using a 12v dc supply with a polarity reversed cable ) to hear the most horrendous humming noise overpowering the guitar signal when the effect is switched on. There is no problem when in the off position,in fact it doesnt alter the guitar tone at all,its just when you switch the delay on. The repeats are also very distorted and muddy.There isnt any of the warm analog sound at all . I played the effect with a clean sound through my Bad Cat Black Cat / Relic Strat.
    The seller has offered me a refund so I guess thats what I`ll do,I just thought I`d run it by you guys first for any suggestions.
    Cheers Paul

2. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

make sure the adaptor is made for pedals, if not it is probably not regulated and will hum bad. We have a radio shacl 12V adaptor here and mu guys try it on AD900s that we get in for mods and tell me thaht they hum. THen I remind them that RS adaptors hum and to try a good adaptor. Need to throw that adaptor away...

3. pm250

pm250 Member

Thanks for the quick reply Mike, I bought the adaptor from a local Electrical superstore here in the UK and its not a regulated supply,however it doesnt hum at all when the delay isnt switched ? The hum only occurs when switching the delay on ? I wouldve thought if the supply was bad then it would hum regardless whether the effect was switched or not ? I hope i`m wrong though.
    Cheers Paul

Ps I managed to get hold of one of your Sunlions a few months back and I`ve got to say its an awesome piece of kit. Its definately staying on the board :). Top pedal.

4. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Maxon stuff is tempermental as to voltage, so be careful. Also you are using a 12 volt DC supply, not AC right?

TheGrooveking

5. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

See if you can find a 12v adapter like the one that would have originally come with the pedal. When I bought mine brand new a few years back, it came with its own Maxon-labelled 12v AC adapter. I hope you don't have to return the pedal...it's so nice.

6. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

A power supply might say 12V but what are the amps? There can be a huge difference. You might be able to start your car with the one you bought! LOL

Make sure the AMPS are correct.

Good luck

7. Kezend

Kezend Member

i had this same problem with my mi audio tube zone. only hummed when engaged. is the maxon true bypass? if so then it wont hum. my problem was the adaptor too.

8. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

It won't hum when off as it's got a hard bypass, does not need any power to pass signal when OFF. Do try to find a good adaptor as that's an awesome pedal, one of the best analog delays ever made. If you can get a PedalPower2, the ACA mode on channels 1-4 will work but you may need a non standard cable. Good luck!

9. pm250

pm250 Member

Does the Voodoo Lab Pedalpower 2 supply a 12v dc output ? If thats the case then that would be ideal for me as I`ve got a few BJF`s and a Klon to power also. I didnt realise there was a 12v dc option there as well.