AD900 vs. Deep Blue Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kenoflife, Jul 17, 2008.

1. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I have the AD900 (and had the 999) and I'm wondering about the Deep Blue Delay and if I'm missing out...

Wanting a comparison of the AD900/999 vs. the Deep Blue Delay - from those who have TRIED BOTH,
    around being hit with a strong signal (which AD900 does well) and moreover for overall ambience as a pedal that is left on rather than as an effect

2. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have had both and tried them extensively. I also had the AD999. I prefer the AD900 for what you describe. The DBD is great, but it is a stronger signal and you have to really back off the mix knob a lot to get the ambient delay that the AD900 excels at. Even then, I never could get it to sound the way I want my ambient delay to sound. The AD900 is perfect at this for me.
    The DBD is a great delay though, no question. It is warm sounding, but I just found it a little too strong and clear on repeats compared with a true analog delay like the AD900. I wanted to replace my AD900 with a smaller footprint, but I couldn't.
    The Analogman delay almost gets me what I want to replace the AD900, but it is still in the closet as a backup. The AD900 rules in my book.

3. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Has anybody compared the AD900 to the Ibanez AD-80?

4. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

No but from all the clips I've heard, the AD-80 sounds bad; compared to the AD-900/999.

5. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

bump - anyone else?

6. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

I have a DBD that I just got and love. But for ambient delay sounds I actually like the MXR carbon copy better. Together, you have all the bases covered. Never tried the Maxon AD900 but I've heard it's pretty sweet!

7. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

I have a DBD#44 that I use as an ambient delay and love it. I've owned a ad999 and a ad-80 the DBD smokes them both IMO.

8. Sofus

Sofus Member

I prefer the AD900 for ambient sounds, I own both .. as well as an AD-999. The MP-DBD has clearer repeats, works perhaps a tad better for me with overdrive in front (from stompers and behind (from the amp) than the 900. I would describe the 900 as softer and sweeter ... as always YMMV

9. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Exactly what I hear.