Ad999 Vs Ad900

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zadiqof, Jan 17, 2006.

1. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

I'm going to be purchasing one or the other.
    Set aside the extra milliseconds and wet/dry output (although I may need it) of the AD999, which unit is superior in audible qualities?

2. Don L

Don L Member

I've read that many prefer the AD900 in overall quality and sound. I have one and it immediately replaced my trusty AD-80 that I had used for 8 years. It is a great unit!

3. exodus

exodus Member

the ad900 is far better imo, and I think most of it has to do with running at a higher voltage. the 999 compresses with drive pedals--drops in volume a bit and just doesn't sound great. the 900 eats up everything.

4. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Supporting Member

Another AD-900 vote here.

As mentioned above the AD-900 runs at 12V the AD-999 runs at 9V. Also be aware that if you have a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 like I you can run the AD-900 at 12V through the pedal power 2 BUT you also need a reverse capacity cable to run it!!!

5. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I totally disagree, the AD-999 in my book plus with 4 pdt silent tbs!
    If you do a search you see how many ad-900 broke down and many are available for resale. For me, it is the ad-999 or the fulltone echo, fulltone's is too pricy, too big so.... do the math

6. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

thats strange, i have the 900 and did a TON of research before finding my pedal. i'm talking gear page, harmony-central, guitar geek, and tons of other smaller forums. i never came across a single 900 unit breaking. all the comparisons i heard were the same: ad900 is more organic/natural sounding. less tone suck. so i went with it and couldn't be happier!

7. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

I've had both and have been able to a/b them...I preferred the 900 because it felt a touch more natural to me. Overall, they were pretty close, but, overall I feel if you can live without the extra 300ms, the 900 is the better pedal.

8. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

They are really very different pedals.

The AD900 is a "modern old school" effect @ 600ms and uses the old Panasonic bucket brigade chips - either two MN3205's @ 300ms each or four MN3008's @ 150ms each (both are identical sounding). These are the same chips that are in the old Boss and Ibanez analog delays. Maxon bought up all the remaining NOS chips and used them in these pedals and the Maxon AD-9. It is a certain sound. The AD900 is not true bypass and has cannot do the "long" type repeats of a digital.

The AD999 is a modern style pedal and uses the "new" Maxon bucket brigade chips (that I believe are also in the re-issue Ibanez AD-9). They sound different than the old Panasonic ones. Some people like them, some don't. Different sound for sure. It is still analog delay mind you, just a different flavor.

The AD999 is also true bypass and sports 900ms of delay, which attempts to address the biggest complaint of many analog delays (too short a time). 900ms is plenty of delay for most people, and longer than almost any other analog delay.

The AD999 and AD900 are two totally different sounding boxes, just like the Memory Man, the Boss DM-2 and the MXR green box analog delay (they are all completely different and use different chips and circuits).

My 2 cents. :D

9. gururyan

gururyan Member

I have the AD900 too, love it.

Differences that I know of:

AD900
    12v (allows for more headroom!)
    mono
    600ms
    High-Voltage BBD's (allows for more headroom!)
    mechanical non-true bypass w/buffered in/out (which is DEAD silent, love it!)
    discontinued, too expensive to manufacture

AD999
    9v
    stereo
    900ms
    Low-Voltage BBD's
    mechanical true bypass switching
    current production model

10. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

11. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

i once had the chance to compare the ad-900 to the echoczar. well the ad-900 was really DEAD silent. better than the ez which is supposed to be quiet for an analog delay. i even liked the ad better for the analog sound,.. though i don't have to explain the other features that makes the czar outstanding, do i ?? .. :)