AD999 vs AR20DL vs Malekko 600 Bright--Help me choose my new analog delay!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by NewarkWilder, Sep 10, 2008.

1. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

So I've decided to at least try to cut down on the delay footprint on my board and see if i can live without my DMM. I'm gonna get some kind of digital tap delay as well but right now I'm trying to decide between these 3 which all seem to be pretty highly regarded--the Maxon, Analogman and Malekko.

I don't *think* I need/will be devastated without the modulation of the DMM so I'm just looking for the most musical, lets say "prettiest" analog delay among the 3 I listed, or throw me other suggestions but I've pretty much narrowed it down to these.

Any help? Thanks folks!

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I love my Analogman, but I am coming from Boss DM, and Ibanez AD. Compared to those, the Analogman has more clarity, lots of headroom, and low noise. I never feel like I have too much grain on the repeats. And there is xtra time, if you get the XL version. I like to have a buffer at the end of the chain. I don't notice any difference with it in my signal-path so I am happy. I can't say you won't miss your DMM, definately don't sell it.

3. Grenville

Grenville Member

AD999 rocks, I assume the others will too!

I actually sold my AD999 when I got the TC Nova. If the AD999 had tap-tempo, I'd still have that and not the Nova.

4. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

Yup I doubt I'll be getting rid of it... just testing the waters if I can live without it and have some extra space on the board.

Thanks for the opinions on the Maxon & Analogman... both are very appealing, and I *think* I'm leaning towards the AM right now.

I'm also pretty taken by the demos of the Malekko though... I'm a little concerned about the harshness of the oscillation in the PGS demos but I would never use it like that anyway. I dunno.

5. erksin

erksin Member

I haven't tried the AD999, but I have tried both AM pedals (DL and XL), and 3 out of 4 of the Malekkos.

It would be really helpful to know how much delay time range you use. It has been my experience that the AR20DL/XL and the Malekko E600s don't do slapback as well as the shorter AR20DL and E300s do. They have a slight 'lag' to the repeats for lack of a better term, so they aren't as spanky or responsive for the shorter delays.

The AR20DL is the best 300mS delay I've played to date - its got excellent clarity to the repeats while still sounding warm and 3D. The Malekkos (both Dark and Bright versions) were most definitely darker and murkier on the repeats - but they have a very cool sound to them, IMO.

If you can swing it, the nicest delay I've ever played is a Skreddy Echo. It's a DMM killer. Go check out the Howard Gee clips of the Echo on Skreddy's site - they're really accurate.

6. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

7. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

Thanks Erskin! DMM killer ehh? I'd sort of taken the Skreddy out of consideration due to a couple of other respected opinions I've read but it was the one I was leaning towards most heavily at first. I'm still intrigued by the others though... especially the Malekko.

I tend to use my DMM for longer delays and less for slapback... Do alot of ambient sorts of sound washes... though theres nothing quite like nailing Run Like Hell on the DMM.

8. erksin

erksin Member

Well I'm a slapback player 95% of the time, but the Skreddy's longer delay times are absolutely gorgeous - and the modulation is really a thing of beauty.

9. orange worker

orange worker Supporting Member

the malekko is nice and warm and natural sounding - perfect decay sounds for an ambient feeling. haven't played the others though. the box is way purdy too :)

10. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Fwiw, I have the AD-999 and the DMM and modulation aside, I prefer the AD-999. Compared to the DMM it's warmer, fatter and the repeats have a bouncy/percussiveness that I haven't heard in any other analog delay that I've tried. It's also extremely easy to dial in and if you're into oscillation, it does that a lot better than the DMM which can get a bit harsh. Only negative worth mentioning is that headroom isn't that great (I only notice this playing clean w/ buckers), but w/ single coils or dirt it's great and extremely musical.

11. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    What about the MXR Carbon Copy if you are looking for modulation with your delay. As to the tap tempo thing, Analogman can mod Maxon AD9/AD900/AD999 to accept a expression pedal for either delay time or feedback, or both.

TheGrooveking