Ada Mp-1 Classic... Oh My!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lucky Dog Guitars, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

CLIPS ADDED BELOW.. Scroll down: I havent pulled this thing out in YEARS... just out of curiosity I hooked it up to a tube power amp & ran it through a PA cabinet of all things...

WOW!!! Instant hotrodded marshall sound!... Its hard to believe you dont hear of more rock players using these MP1's these days.. one of the best rock tones Ive heard in a long time.

I especially like the "classic" version because its got a nice noise compressor & extra preamp voice.

I ordered an AXE-FX this week.. but now Im kinda thinking "how could rock tones get any better than this ADA?"

Anyone else out there using these still?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

lol just add a bbe sonic maximizer and a furman parametric preamp and you see!!!!!:Devil:phones:roll

3. mike80

mike80 Member

I was thinking about buying one a few years ago. Still may sometime.

4. jwnc

jwnc Member

Hi, I love mine.

If you ever want to sell yours please let me know...

Thanks
    Jason

5. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

ahhh.. Ive got a BBE packed away too!!..

6. THebert

THebert Member

I had one of those and thought it was really great. I even programed several patches of the same volume but increasing levels of distortion. That was fun to mess around with. The chorus on the ADAs is really good, too.

7. telelion

telelion Member

It's funny as there was just a thread trashing them. Though I never owned one I always thought they sounded very good and can see how many think they are a minor classic just like some of the Scholtz rack mount gear. You'll never see that stuff again so hang on to it.

8. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

I dont see how someone could trash this.. crazy. The clean tones are good.. and the overdrive sounds are GREAT..

I can honestly say, I have never went into a store & plugged straight into anything that sounded this good on the overdrive side no matter what the volume level was

9. jwnc

jwnc Member

I use the speaker sim on mine to record and its better then any modeling I have ever heard. The analog of it is just so upfront and direct, unlike other products that everything sounds compressed and pushed back.

10. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

Funny, I always thought the Marshall midi preamp--forgot the model--sounded pretty killer as well

11. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

Ada mp1 is a killer for a 80's cover band!!!!

12. ed_dale007

ed_dale007 Member

I am pretty sure Billy Corgan used one of these to record Gish the pumpkins first record.

13. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey HillBillySims,

The ADA MP-1 Classic is a cool underrated guitar preamp. It was made to be an improved version of the original MP-1 preamp with better features. You'll get some great sounds out of that preamp with right rack effects and tube power amp. I've used my ADA MP-1 preamp since 1993 in cover bands that I've worked with. About 2 years ago, I discovered the ADA Depot website and had my MP-1 preamp modded & upgraded by Hairston Bagg (no longer with ADA Depot) with the 3TM tube circuitboard and that little guy absolutely screams now. I own 2 ADA Depot 3TM "Ultra" mod MP-1 preamps now. I won't ever sell of any of mine. :dude

Guitar George

14. sixstringmonk

sixstringmonk Member

I have a MP2 that you can hear pretty extensively on the tracks on my myspace site that have the band listed as "Tarwater" on the left bottom left side of the player once you select a track.

I have to say that the tone is pretty decent for higher gain sounds. I never got good light crunch or blues tones out of it. Also, even with a tube power amp, they don't really have a tube feel. A huge plus is that they sound great at low volumes since 99% of the tone is the preamp.

15. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I believe White Lion's Vito Bratta and Extreme's Nuno Bettancourt used mostly MP-1's in the studio in the 80's. Live too I'd imagine.

16. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I used to rock the original MP1 stereo out into digitech tsr24 into the stereo BBE sonic maximizer (of course!) into a peavey 50/50 tube power amp into a JCM 800 4x12 cab i had wired in stereo.. to say it rocked is putting it mildly. The only thing it couldnt pull of was a dead on SRV tone which is (of course!) what i wanted at the time.

17. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

I played in bands w/a few guys back in the 80s who used them. Not one of them could get as much as a half decent tone. Very synthetic and processed sounding to my ears.

18. Mark C

Mark C Member

I always dug the gainy tones from them, but never heard clean or pushed tones that I really loved. For the money they go for now on Ebay, I think they're a freakin' steal.

19. DannyG

DannyG Member

I used one in the late 80's and early 90's with a Boogie 50/50 power amp and a Laney 4 x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks wired in stereo. I had a nice little effect rack back then. I remember the ADA MP-1 to sound incredible. I had some awesome Marshall type lead tones all the way to some excellent Mike Sternish Jazz tones. I didn't like the Solid State programs very well but the tube sounds were amazing. I think I still have it in storage along with my old Yamaha SPX-90 which I swear still has the best verbs in the world. I don't remember ever selling them. I should look.

20. fumanii

fumanii Member

I was debating selling my ADA setup. I just plugged in my MP-1 into a Peavey Classic 50/50. It sounds really good. The unmodded MP-1 doesn't get the Rectifier or 6505 tone but it gets a nice tone. I think I will keep it.