Adam a7x vs. Dynaudio bm6a mkll...I'm ready to buy, help!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by straticus, Mar 9, 2012.

1. straticus

straticus Member

HI,
    I'm ready to buy a new set of monitors and I need help deciding between the Adams a7x and Dynaudio bm6a mkll. I've listened to the Adams in show rooms and such but can't find the bm6a mkll's to listen to.

I did find a pair of the bm5 to listen to and liked them enough to wonder about the bm6a mkll's.

So I'm looking for opinions about how the two monitors compair.
    Thanks!

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

I've read that the lower end Adam A-7's have had some reliability issues.
    No clue if they are solved yet or not.

I'd look at Dynaudio, Focal, Quested or if money is no object
    Barefoots

http://www.mercenary.com/speak.html

3. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

At the same price point as the Dynaudio's, I'd go for the Focal CMS-65.

I have not heard them, but have heard nothing but good things about Focal.

I have heard some Dynaudios, they were OK, but I passed. I did not like the ribbon tweeter on the ADAM's.

There is a good deal on a demo pair of Focal Solo 6's at Vintage King now-a bit more than your basic budget but worth it if you can swing it.

http://www.vintageking.com/Focal-Solo6-Be-Single-Demo-Deal?sc=42&category=56

4. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I've got some A7s and never had a problem with them. However if I was to do it again I'd go for the Dynaudios. Focals are great but pricey.

5. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

I'm looking at purchasing the Neumann KH120s soon (still saving up funds).

I've heard a couple sets of A7Xs - they're definitely better once broken in, but wouldnt be my top choice.
    Focals I've heard CMS50's - fantastic sounds, i imagine the 65s are even better.
    Dynaudios I've heard I didn't care for as much. Something about the low end seemed a bit hyped.

The Neumann's I fell in love with at AES (i know its not ideal) - i could hear everything crystal clear, even with a loud/noisy environment and (MUCH) less than perfect acoustics. The low end was so tight and clear, did not seem hyped at all, but was very audible. Mids were extremely clear. Top was not harsh, but was also clear.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Neumann's, Focals, or ADAMs...as long as...(wait for it)...your room is treated!

6. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

All great suggestions and ideas here. I had the A7s and they are good - just a bit midrange heavy to my ears compared to Dynaudios. I'm also saving up for a set of Neumann KH120 to use as a second set/reference pair w/ my Dynaudio Air 6s.

7. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

I employ the a7x monitors in the studio.
    I could have used/purchased any of the dynaudios or focals, but after trying them all I went with the Adams.
    No issues even at loud volumes. Simply outstanding monitors with excellent bass response and a mid and too end that will reveal even the smallest problems in the mix.
    Highly recommended.