Adam Jones and Tool

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Ape Factory, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

Had the opportunity to photograph Tool in concert two nights ago and despite the brevity on the photo side of things, it was pretty cool to see Adam work up on stage. Stage presence is definitely not Tool's forte as no one really moves around too much. Adam really works the pedals and that Virus synth. It's not really a large, complex setup but it seems to work for him and he does get some interesting sounds out of it. Played with the Gibson Les Paul silverburst the whole night.

I'm an editor now so they don't let me out of the office much. This is the first concert I've shot in some time and the first I've shot since picking up an electric guitar. So I had a bit more knowledge under my belt which made the experience more rewarding. Shot Rush a few years back, specifically Alex for a local story (he lives here), and I've always been a fan of his playing. But I didn't have the raw understanding of why he did what he did or used like I do now. Makes me want to shoot more concerts again.

Anyway, a few photos. I had ONE song to shoot and I don't think it was even the full length as on the original recording. The lights didn't get good until later on in the show either. Sort of funny, they consider themselves artists but oppress other artists. But whatever. That sort of stuff is why I got out of shooting the big musicians in the first place.

Due to licensing, I cannot post them here, you'll have to visit the gallery online. Tool is very strict about usage.

http://www.naplesnews.com/photos/ga...-concert-photos-sunrise-florida-maynard-adam/

Was a great show and they played very well. Just a little too short and they did not come back on for an encore (was supposed to be "The Pot") which was strange. But Maynard actually waved in his weird sort of way.

2. thornie

thornie Member

Nice pics. Adam Jones owns something like 50 Silverburst Les Pauls. For a while he was buying every single one that popped up on ebay.

3. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

He had three there that night, one was pretty beat up.

4. Bankston

Bankston Member

5. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

Appreciated! I had virtually no time to shoot and I have to admit, I was a bit rusty. Desks suck.

6. DISTORT6

DISTORT6 Member

7. BigViolin

BigViolin Member

Great shots, thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  8. Lution

Lution Member

really good shots. Thanks for sharing. Can you tell us what the stage volume was like?

9. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the pics and info. Taking good pics of bands playing live is really hard to do. And I would never guess anyone in Tool would gig in white pants! Well, when in Rome, er, Florida.... Anyway, thanks for posting. Never seen them live.

If you like them, you might want to check out Russian Circles. Amazing band.

10. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Nice shots, and especially nice to see the bass player getting some attention too

/rick

11. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

Justin was the only guy that did move around the stage! He also likes a good cold bottle of Stella Artois while playing too. He had some decent light on him at one point so I shot away. But I took far too many photos of Adam Jones. Bias!

Stage volume was pretty loud I'd imagine, I wore earplugs and I had no trouble hearing them but then again I was in front of the speakers. They had monitors set up on the floor that were about 6" higher than the stage. Made it tough to shoot cleanly as I was usually shooting between speakers. I didn't really notice if any of the guys were wearing ear piece monitors or not. But I was in the "trench" so it's tough to judge actual stage volume. I think Adam's amps were mic'd...I've got a photo somewhere of them.

After I was done shooting I went up into the "bleachers" where I could see everything and it was still pretty damn loud. I used a set of binoculars to scope them out so to speak. If they had let me shoot from above with a 400/2.8 or 600/4, I could have had some great shots. They do a great job of mixing everything and I can clearly hear everyone, including Mayard who doesn't always sing at the top of his lungs. Really enjoyable show with good energy despite the lack of movement on stage. They really seemed up for it.

I thought Adam's outfit was kind of strange, the whole white pants, nappy red t-shirt thing. His hair is much longer now so he looks like he's straight out of the 70's. But when you're that talented, I guess you can look however you want!

The opening song was particularly hard to shoot as it was all strobe and rotating lighting of various colors. It settled down later which would have made it a whole lot easier to focus on aesthetics and emotion on stage. I haven't been shooting on a regular basis for about two years so it was a bit tough. If I'd only had three songs to shoot....

12. Igneous

Igneous Member

Could you see any amps?

13. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

Yeah, his old Marshall on a 4x12 cab and two Diezels on Mesa 4x12 cabs. I've got a photo here but it appears I can't post attachments.

14. dmarkj22

dmarkj22 Member

Nice pics. In regard to Adam's tone and rig, yes it is simple but his tone is big. I've seen them live several times and his Silverburst and His Diezel's really sing man. Big big tone.

15. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

Very nice! Thanks for the pictures! I love Tool. I can't wait for the new record.

16. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

TOOL is very strict about photos. Adam's wife Camella is a photographer/visual artist and she does a lot of live shots. Last time I saw TOOL I saw her down front for awhile, and then later she was standing at the end of our row in the lower section taking more shots.