Adam Jones Signature Gibson Les Paul in the works

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Boston617, Jun 29, 2020 at 9:11 AM.

1. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

Love counting crows! Mr. Jones and Me! Congrats Mr Jones

2. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

3. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

Still one of my favorites from them, so raw but so Tool. Had a real punk energy to it.

LCW and Catatafish like this.
  4. jimfear

jimfear Silver Supporting Member

Some of the responses in this thread make me cringe.

I'm a fan of Tool - although I like Opiate, Undertow, and Aenima much more than the later stuff. I'm also a fan of Norlin era Gibson LP Customs, specifically those made between 1979 and 1982. Due to the rarity of the finish and what I assume to be the Adam Jones factor, Silverbursts from that era often fetch a premium over comparable LPCs from 79 - 82. Add to that the fact that many of the originals Silverbursts I see listed have been tinkered with extensively, I'm anxious to see the pricing on this new model. If the price is reasonable, I'd love to get my hands on one. For me, it's a finish I like, with specs I like, and a factory warranty.

monty and Catatafish like this.
  5. Eveningtheme

Eveningtheme Member

Judging by the pics right now, I'd expect 4.5 if not 6k as the absolute lowest estimate.

That bit of relicing does not come cheap when talking gibson unfortunately.

pentatonicwanker likes this.
  6. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

Yeah I'm expecting the $5,999 sticker price, knowing how much of a cork sniffer Adam is (still love him) and how loyal tool fans are, you know they won't be doing a USA/non CS or Epi models when they know people WILL buy this.

7. Eveningtheme

Eveningtheme Member

Yeah definitely for this first run, but I do see an epi not too far out in the future since this has finally happened.

But I also don't fully understand Tool's strange views on corporations and such with how vocal Maynard is about how all businesses are corrupt and terrible, yet owns massive, massive winery operations.

Personally, I think 2021 at the latest would be the last chance Adam would have at getting massive sales and should capitalize on it.

God knows Tool will never make another album again after this last fiasco.

8. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

It's hilarious that you have to post evidence to convince some people that Tool indeed is one of the biggest bands of the past 30 years and that Adam Jones is someone.

In any case, I've been a fan since Undertow but Fear Inoculum is actually my favorite. But I'm a prog head.

9. LolainNB

LolainNB Member

That’s what I thought first too.

Love Pac-Man Jones though. Didn’t know he played guitar. Hope he gets signed somewhere

ChipOnly likes this.
  10. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

And if they do, data trends show it won't be until 2037 lol undertow to aenima was 3 years, aenima to lateralus was like 5 years, lateralus to 10000 days was 7 years or so and 10000 days to Fear Innoculum was 13, easily showing next album will be a 17 year battle.

11. kakev

kakev Member

Sorry, I dont see the connection unless you can show his winery is terrible and corrupt. Not a fanboi, I have no reason to defend him but I also like logical thinking. Having a signature made by Gibson however is not something I would do since that company is terrible and corrupt. Think about the choises they’ve made during past years. Play authentic for one and destroying perfectly fine guitars for no obvious reason for second.

12. Eveningtheme

Eveningtheme Member

The connection is that Maynard himself has called out how all businesses are morally corrupt, society destroying entities. He doesn't discriminate.

At the level Maynard is producing Wine, he's got many, many 'questionable' businesses involved in the supply chain if not his business directly.

I should say that I personally could care less about any of this, I'll buy a product regardless if I like it. Don't care about business practices.

13. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

At the level he's producing wines? He makes 4500 cases a year. That's NOTHING. What you are saying makes no sense at all.

kakev likes this.
  14. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

I love this

These will likely cost the same as a Norlin era silver burst. I’ll just take one of those

15. IanRubbish

IanRubbish Member

I would be excited for this, but im willing to bet they will give it the great paint job, and then smack it with a screwdriver and sand wear marks all over it. My friend likes to buy old guitars that look new, and new guitars that look old. He will be pumped if they do that to this guitar because it will go well with his 1980 Silverburst that looks like it was made yesterday.

16. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

Sweetwater requiring a $5K deposit to get on the wait list...

17. bokeh

bokeh Member

I kind of laugh (no offense) that you guys think this won't be a one off run. Gibson is known to not do additional runs of CS artist models such as this. You can get a Silverburst LPC from the custom shop if you want to pay for it at any time but it wouldn't be an Adam Jones Signature model. I also kind of laugh at Gibson having an "Artist Collection" page on their website insinuating that you can buy those at any time. They are all limited releases. Once they're gone, they're usually gone until Gibson decides if/when to do another run on a whim. Which is usually never.

LCW likes this.
  18. CassetteTape

CassetteTape Member

Fingers crossed that Gibson offers a quality instrument with a fair amount of value and stops suing people for doing the same things they did, so I can buy one.

I owned a mint 1979 silverburst and it was a great guitar. I let it go but it ended up in a very good place. ;)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020 at 11:17 PM
  19. Eveningtheme

Eveningtheme Member

Ha well I guess we all have a different definition of nothing.... especially at 4,500 cases. My local suburb store has stock. I guess I should have included the other side businesses like the restaurants.

But I’m also definitely not a Tool fan, so maybe I see Maynards way of ‘putting it to the man’ a little differently.

20. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

"Buy gone" really does describe so much of the present's comparatively dismal album sales figures.