Adam Jones tone question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lamby, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Lamby

Lamby Member

Does Adam use some subtle wah to get the tone in this clip from about 4:40? Or is that just the delay and his typically mid-heavy sound? I can hear him kick on the flanger at around 5:18, but don't think he's using it until that point.

2. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

He might cock a wah and let it sit there. Another thing is that he's picking with a subtle pinch harmonic technique during that part which contributes to what you're hearing.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    yawiney and Lamby like this.
  3. Lamby

Lamby Member

Oh really? Do you know what the technique is?

4. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

I think my learned friend is right: It sounds like he's drawing his pick into his hand so it barely sticks out at all: Because the hand is so close to the end of the pick it touches the strings and causes subtle pinch harmonics as you play. I've just tried that and it sounds similar.

5. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

Yeah, he looks like he's using a wah - standing directly in front of his board with one foot forward. He steps back right before hitting the flanger with his other foot, which says he's stepping off the wah to me. If he was just standing normally in front of the board, he wouldn't have had to step back to hit the flanger.

Lamby likes this.
  6. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

It's just like doing a pinch harmonic, only with less emphasis, and while picking an arpeggio...or a repeating 4 note lick, or something. That, in combination with stepping on a wah will get that quock, quock, quock, quock sound.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Lamby likes this.
  7. johnetone

johnetone Member

definitely wah and technique.