Adam Jones (Tool) pickups - Duncan Super Distortion?

Seal

Silver Supporting Member
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gu...-colossal-tones-and-those-signature-pull-offs

In this more recent interview towards the bottom under the “do you modify your guitars” question, Jones says he uses SD Super Distortion pickups but as far as I know, SD never made a model pickup like that.

They made the SD “Distortion” and DiMarzio made the Super Distortion so do you think he just means the SD Distortion?

or is it a technique to throw people off?

for years people thought he was using a JB.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Well isn't Gibson releasing a Adam Jones sig?

We might not for sure when that's released?

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Clearly a Seymour Duncan here, so he probably meant their Distortion model.

Buck Woodson

I put a SD JB/Jazz set in a Traditional Les Paul and through my Diezel VH4 it certainly sounds in the ballpark, not that I do. Tool is certainly one of the coolest bands out there. They are so much greater than the sum of their parts.

guitargod0dmw

I remember reading an article back with Aenima came out and I thought he said he was using a JB.

Certainly things could have changed in 20+ years

frails

Gold Supporting Member
Tried a Seymour Duncan JB and a Distortion. Neither are it IMO. Bare Knuckle Heaven and Hell sound fantastic but we know it’s not that. Gibson early T-Top...no way. Tim Shaw, negative. Found a tar back for a great price and it was instantly “it”. I’m running a ‘69 Gibby Black Custom into a Diezel VH2, Mesa Rectifier cab with two Celestion V30’s, Goodrich vol pedal, MXR micro amp+, Bos BF-2, Analogman modded Boss GE-7 EQ and Boss Delay. Tomorrow I’ll mix in a ‘73 Marshall Lead Bass with matching 4x12 with Black backs. But I believe the Tar backs from the time his Silverburts were made are the pickups.

chrisrocksusa

I’ve always took it to either be a Duncan distortion or a dimarzio super distortion, but the dimarzios look different so I think it’s the Duncan’s

Interestingly the pickup in Adam Jones' new signature Les Paul isn't a Duncan Distortion, but a "Custom Wound Seymour Duncan DDJ"

Any one have any idea what makes this pickup different than a standard Seymour Duncan Distortion?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom