Adam Lambert and Queen

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Nyerik123, May 30, 2014.

1. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

Freddy was a great talent, and he's gone.

Nothing wrong with musicians wanting to play music they were instrumental in creating, and I think they are doing it with a touch of class by acknowledging so openly that Queen was and remains Freddie, John, Brian, and Roger. So yes, they are something of a tribute, and rightly so. IMHO far classier than Schon insisting (between drunken rages and public spectacle over what should be his private life) that "there was a Journey before Steve and there is Journey after Steve" and rotating high-voiced ringers out front pretending it doesn't matter.

FWIW, Paul didn't work for me. Amazing singer, and anyone has the right to cover a tune and/or be part of a loving tribute. But to step into Freddie's shoes for a full-blown tour,...IMHO his voice and delivery are too unequivocally masculine. Freddie's camp and ambiguity were an integral part of what made Queen what they were. Adam brings that to the table, with his guyliner, natural camp, and musical theater influences, along wth the vocal chops to pull it off (and no, it's not about being bi vs strait vs gay, it's about the music). I don't think Adam is the total musician Freddy was, but as a frontman for a tour, he fits the mood and style of the band.

George has the chops, but was never really campy in the way Freddy was and was never really an arena rocker, so once again wrong guy other than for a momentary tribute.

Just my opinion.
    I'd probably see them with Adam, but ingest it as a tribute kind of thing. And I probably wouldn't pay an armload. Well, I *am* a guitar player... and Brian's tone is worth a few extra bucks...

2. gtnoise

gtnoise Member

Frick it - I'm seeing them in Oz in August. Can't see them with Freddy and they didn't come out here with Paul Rogers. Last time they came here was on The Works Tour.

From what I hear they're throwing in some old stuff so it will be fun and Brian and Roger are pros - it'll be a good show.

3. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

I love Queen and as a singer myself, I think Adam Lambert is an amazingly talented vocalist. However, to my ears there is something about the actual tone of his voice that can be a bit unpleasant.
    I've heard him sing Crazy little thing called love a few times and it's like a bad karaoke version. Much of the other stuff he sings with Queen also sounds to me like he's belting out show tunes.
    I really wanted to love it, but I just think he doesn't sound good in that kind of rock and roll format. I'll still go see them when they come regardless.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  4. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

It should work, Lambert and Freddie cut from similar molds. Lambert just over sings everything, and it's grating.

5. dazco

dazco Member

Thats exactly how i felt watching a few youtube vids after seeing this thread. The guy can sing, but his overall sound and persona just somehow seems wrong. Having seen the guy sing before i was fully expecting him to fit in perfectly but i was way off. Of course thats just opinion, it's 100% subjective. But i was really put off by the whole thing. I didn't feel his voice is right in this context and i think your mention of "belting out show tunes" and it being "a bit unpleasant" perfectly reflect how i felt.

6. frennis

frennis Member

This is exactly how I feel. The tone of his voice is not right for those songs. Just being able to sing high doesn't really cut it for those songs (for me). I think his voice is more suited for old school metal (Priest or Maiden) than for Queen.

7. frennis

frennis Member

You may be right about not having the goods to do a whole tour (I don't know that much about the Fun dude), but I think the tone of his voice fits the songs better than Adam.

8. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

The only thing I don't like about Adam's voice with Queen is that it's just a little too "pretty."

He needs to smoke a couple packs a day like Freddie did to give his voice more grit. ;)

9. jerrylee

jerrylee Supporting Member

Adam is just a little too "Axle" for me - there is something screechy about his vox that grates on me.

10. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

LMAO -

Then they could have added Flav and had a sort of "Queen meets Public Enemy" thing going on.....

11. foofoo

foofoo Member

Lady Gaga on vocals for the win!

12. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Heathen.

IMO Freddie was the greatest vocalist to grace the rock n roll world.

13. BMX

BMX Member

I wouldn't have thought George Michael would have been that good with queen until I saw that performance came out- GM is a badass. Nobody more shocked than me but I would have loved to see a tour with GM and queen. As has been said GM probably not interested.

I think lambert is a great fit and will do a great job.

14. big mike

Agreed. Michael was good.

That said I'm not spending money to see Queen without Freddie.
    I won't spend money to see VH without Mikey either though.

Oh I supposed I'd buy a cheap seat just to see Brian May.

15. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I've been a Queen fan since I was a little kid - about 35 years now. I never got to see them with Freddie because my parents wouldn't take me to see them when we lived in Europe & they never toured in the US again after we moved here.

I saw them with Paul Rodgers back when they did that tour (2008?). Good show, happy that I went & well worth the $128 ticket. I went to see Brian play and hear the songs. IMO Paul did a great job and I got some fantastic photos.

Nobody can replace Freddie, but that's not why I'm not going. I'm simply not a fan of Adam Lambert and I'm no longer willing to pay more than $100 for a concert ticket to see anybody. I usually just wait for the concert DVD to come out & pay $20 for that if I really want to see the show.

16. big mike

Basically where I'm at nowadays.

Example...I'm, a huge Allman Bros fan.
    Live at Great Woods is as good as all teh shows i went to see.

17. custom53

custom53 Member

The best singer, in my own personal opinion, for Queen was George Michael..! Awesome together...

[SOUNDCLOUD]kQS5AMRVGLU[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  18. Phila67

Phila67 Member

I got tickets to the Izod Arena show at the Meadowlands only for the reason that it's probably time to see Brian May before he's forced into retirement. My wife is a A. Lambert fan, so she is in on the deal and it should be a night of good music. Am I expecting to see "Queen" per se? No, but it should be a good show. I used all my rewards points on the tickets too, so it wasn't too bad out of pocket (cheap seats upper deck).

19. Fezziwig

Fezziwig Member

Yeah, Michael was fantastic on all the "softer" stuff. In fact, unlike Freddie, who typically laid off the high notes on many songs to rest those vocal nodules (in his defense, he was singing an entire concert), George generally hit all the falsetto stuff live (e.g., the high note at the end of "Somebody to Love"). He couldn't nail the rock stuff like Freddie (like the end of Bohemian Rhapsody, for example) but, to his credit, he didn't try.

Freddie was an awe-inspiring rock front-man. We simply don't have "arena" front-men (except for the old-timers) like that anymore.

20. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I think Adam is an incredibly talented singer.

Why notÂ…hey, it seems to be working for Journey.

S.
    j