Adam Lambert and Queen

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Nyerik123, May 30, 2014.

1. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

I saw the show in Houston, it was fantastic. I can't think of a better front man than Adam for them at the present time. Sure his voice is different ( more like a Jackson compared to Freddy's Les Paul) but he has all the range, makes the songs his own, and is a fantastic front man. Really good show I thought.

2. Phila67

Phila67 Member

I saw the show in Newark and it was a good show. I used my reward points and so the tickets did not end up costing that much and turns out we were "upgraded" since they closed off about a third of the upper deck--I guess sales weren't quite what they expected. My wife loves AL and she thought "it was the best concert I have ever seen!". I have nothing bad to say about AL; his vocals were top notch.

There did seem to be a lot of canned music and harmonies in the show. Rodger Taylor brought his son to help out on percussion and he looks just like him from 30 years ago. But John and Brian and clearly getting on in years. May was great, but there were times when he was either playing over pre-recorded rhythm tracks or there was an unknown rhythm guitar player in the back unseen (most notably in the opener "Now I'm Here"). But then again, I think Queen back in the day also used a lot of canned music in their live shows. May still seems deeply affected by the loss of Freddy and seemed to well up during his solo spot playing "Love of My Life". However, I thought he looked rather silly in the gold lame hooded cape he donned for "Bohemian Rhapsody". It reminded me of a SpongeBob parody. I wish the set list was a little more on the rocking side--they did not do "Keep Yourself Alive", "Hammer to Fall" or "I want to break free"--songs I was looking forward to hearing.

All in all though, glad I did go because there will likely be few, if any, future tours.

3. Oldschool59

Oldschool59 Member

I think Lambert does simply not have the voice. As far as voice goes, Marc Martel, in my opinion, was the perfect choice. He lacked the stage presence, but the man WAS Freddy, voice-wise. Lambert puts on a better show, to his defence.

4. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

i saw the show from the 11th row. wasn't sure how adam was gonna do but i wanted to see my 3rd most favorite guitarist (after gilmour & pagey) and was excited to see a living legend with a unique sound. i was just as excited to see o'l red!

anyways, adam did great. he's singing queen's songs and has big shoes to fill.

the only person living that i believe could have done better vocally within the rock idium is ian moore or chris cornell.

IT WAS WORTH THE MONEY

5. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Never mind whether he is good as Freddie (he isnt) the main problem w lambert is that he lack power and projection. He has better range for the songs than Rodgers but at least he had the balls in his presentation of them. Lambert is technically good but too weak in his Vocal style

6. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

Just watched a couple of video's. It sounds like somebody doing Ethyl Merman doing Queen. Just no.

7. Fezziwig

Fezziwig Member

Yeah, Freddie had this very strong mid-range tenor voice that really powered the music. Nothing is wrong with Lambert's technical abilities, but he just has a thinner voice. When you hear something like "Another One Bites the Dust" or "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" Lambert sounds a bit weak. However, he can deliver a good, entertaining performance, and he can use that incredible live range of his to hit notes that Freddie wouldn't even try live.

8. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Thats who I was trying to remember! Lambert gets really "trilly" when he pushes the higher stuff...

9. Fezziwig

Fezziwig Member

One correction -- John Deacon is not playing bass for Queen + Adam Lambert. Neil Fairclough is filling his shoes, so he would be old guy you mention. ;) John Deacon is retired and didn't have any interest in touring in a version of Queen without Mercury.

10. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

my mom saw the show over the weekend, she said it was awesome!

11. Devnor

Devnor Member

Saw the show in Dallas, it was awesome. We had great seats and they were expensive. Seemed like everyone was there for Brian May. Brian carried the show and basically stole the show. At times Brian was channeling Hendrix at the end of Fat Bottom Girls & Page during the beginning of his solo spot. His guitar solo was probably the coolest guitar performance I've ever seen with incredible visuals which felt at times he was leaving this world. Its one thing to see it on YouTube but being there & not expecting it was an entirely different experience. Of course his guitar tone was massive. It was a special treat to see them play one of my favorite Queen tunes '39.

Typical TGP to be bagging on Adam but from watching Brian and Roger they seemed truly happy Adam was onstage with them performing Queen classics. Going in I had my doubts too but Freddie is dead and those are big shoes to fill. I thought he did a great job.

12. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

These guys are just happy to play and get paid....

13. Devnor

Devnor Member

Aren't we all? You say it like it's a bad thing.

14. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Actually, most are happy to play at all and do it for free. Which makes them more qualified than Brian and Roger to decide who should front Queen.

15. Phila67

Phila67 Member

I meant Rodger but typed John accidentally--I knew he wasn't there, just crossing thoughts with the fingers.

16. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Completely in agreement with all of this:

I'd hoped that the Adam/Queen thing would come off, and now that it has, it's...pretty cool. I like Adam Lambert's voice and he pulls off the material and the theater perfectly...it's just not quite as great as I thought it would be. Contrary to popular belief, he is able to back it down a few notches from screamer mode, and he sounds great when he does so. I wish he'd do it more with Queen.

I'm amazed at what good fit George Michael was, at least on stuff like "Somebody To Love." His tone and phrasing are actually the most Freddie-like of any of the tribute singers.

Would I pay to see them? We'll never know. Weirdly, they are not coming to Denver. :dunno

Yeah. No ****. :facepalm

17. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

Just curious, is Roger still able to hit those high notes?

18. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

I saw the MSG gig, it was fantastic and well worth seeing. It's a monster rock show, Brian is on top form and Adam is very good.

Www.theprudes.com

19. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Saw the show in Merriweather Post Pavillion and Adam Lambert killed it. The whole band was super tight and the vocal harmonies were spot on - both Roger and Brian May also sang great. The only parts I didn't care for were the drum duel Roger did with his son and May's guitar solo. Highly recommend seeing the show though.

20. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

It is pretty horrible sounding. They even play video recordings with Freddy Mercury still singing some of the classics. A game show singer fronting Queen. That is too funny. It is amazing how easily swayed by hype and nostalgia people are these days.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014