Adam Lambert and Queen

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Nyerik123, May 30, 2014.

1. bforest4

bforest4 Member

Saw the show in LA, was not that thrilled, had a broadway vibe going. Maybe it was our mediocre seats, and bad sound? The worst parts were Brian and Roger singing for about 1/2 hour. Brian's guitar solo was not great for me, lots of delays, repetition, and arpeggios. I am a fan of Adam Lambert from American Idol, but not a fan of his solo stuff. Really wanted to like this, oh well.

2. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I am sure Queen is not better with out Freddie one of if not the greatest rock singer ever

3. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

I don't think anyone has said that or even implied it. Ever.

4. trebb

trebb Member

Did you just call Adam a "game show singer"? Jesus christ. The dude just reeks of talent, regardless of how he got famous. He was singing his ass off and working at his dream long before American Idol.

5. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

Yes, I called him a "game show singer" and NO, my name is not Jesus. The guy has no business in Queen. I was hoping for the best, but quickly found it was all hype. Have fun at the show when they hit your town.

6. trebb

trebb Member

:facepalm

7. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Adam leans towards Broadway. Nothing right or wrong about it, just different than Mercury. He's no Mercury, but neither is anyone else on this planet. I listened to the Kiev video and it was entertaining. I like how they've changed some songs. I like that they aren't trying to be a Mercury-Queen cover band.
    I'm sad that George Michael has demons to fight. He is amazing.

8. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

Freddie Mercury was about the most "broadway " rock star ever.

9. Defendant

Defendant Member

Whatever you do, don't ask him about punk rock.

I'd go see this version of Queen. I agree Lambert is a bit thinner in the voice than Fred (saw Queen with Fred in '85, first concert I went to) but he has the range and onstage presence to give it a crack. Tough gig to do.

Though we often wear rose tinted specs when it comes to stuff like this. It's worth remembering that Fred did plenty of gigs where he would not sing the high notes, and not just on the last tour.

10. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I'm really shocked they didn't use that Marc Martel guy. He looks and sounds almost exactly like Freddie, at least as close as you can get. Lambert has the range but not the gusto/power.

11. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

Yes, but that was 20+ years ago. I don't think George still has those pipes.

12. greeny

greeny Member

This simply is not correct. I havn't seen the latest tour but just watch the Brian May rig rundown on here and it is explicitly stated that the only tapes used are for the Freddie bits. Also back in the day the only tapes ever used were for the Bo rap middle section, for which they left the stage. I read several interviews at the time (70s) where they said they did not agree with bands using backing tapes and in their own case they were leaving the stage so as not to con anyone about what was going on. However since early 80s they always had Spike Edney providing addional keyboards and guitar onstage, he was usually pretty visible though obviously not stage front. Not sure what the deal is on the latest tour but I assume something similar is going on.

As to Paul Rodgers / Adam Lambert. I'm not sure what people expect. I love Paul Rodgers voice, but it is not especially suited to sing queen songs, but that doesn't mean they could not put on a great show (and they did) , it was not queen it was queen + Paul rogers. Now I don't like Adam lambert particularly, but his voice is likely more suited to the queen material, however again they are not trying to pretend he is Freddie. With Mark Martell all you would hear would be the Freddie comparisons, I don't think they want to replicate Freddie, they are trying to give a great show with great songs given a slightly different spin.

13. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Supporting Member

Yeah, he reeks.

14. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

Make Adam full member. Call it Queen. Be a rock band again.

It's time.

15. gkinsingapore

gkinsingapore Member

Watched a few clips, seemed very 'cabaret' to me.... saw Lambert stretched over a lounger camping up Killer Queen with gold spikes on his shoulder pads, no power in his voice and bathed in reverb.... just awful. Freddie was very theatrical, a performer that was first and foremost an amazing singer. No one cared or even knew about his sexuality and it NEVER crossed the line into being a camp sideshow.

Another clip of Stone Cold Crazy posted by Queen and then removed very quickly that had no passion in it whatsoever.....totally limp performance.

In this market tickets are about $200 and the market is very crowded. So Queen/Adam Lambert show isn't that appealing and Ive chosen to spend my concert going dollars on other acts. I'm not going to begrudge people that want to see Brian and Roger do their victory lap though....

16. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

A lot of people are dedicated and work hard - still doesn't mean they are good.

I think that AL's issues are 3 fold. His voice is not suited to the material
    He's performing.....and He trying to take the material in a direction the
    music is not suited for....and the Two Queens didn't/wouldn't restructure
    their material to Work better with Lambert....they both are playing a
    Freddie Mercury set.

In contrast and IMO The Queen + Paul Rodgers collaboration worked
    because Rodgers kept his personality and style intact as did Queen.

That said there is something inherent to Lambert's voice that just grates
    on my ears. And just Like the recent Monty Python Farewell...I'm not paying
    enormous ticket prices to watch for nostalgia's sake. What I liked about
    Queen can be found on their albums - not on a aptly phrased 'victory' lap.

17. trebb

trebb Member

I think the exact opposite. While Adam is no Freddie Mercury, the songs and the stage show lend itself well to his vocals. It definitely has gone in a more theatrical direction with him - but I dig that.

I understand that not everyone is going to love Adam, and I do get that his voice is not everyone's cup of tea. However, to call him a "game show singer" is ludicrous. To say that he's 'not good' is just downright insane. He's one of the most capable male vocalists out there today.

There's a difference between enjoyment and talent. I'm not a fan of a majority of the music talked about on here, but I can certainly recognize the talent and appreciate it. Then again, this is TGP and rationality seems to go by the wayside.

18. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

That's the inherent risk in iconic bands like Queen when they make a change.
    There is a percentage of fans they will alienate, bore, interest and amaze.
    They have to be tough hombres to be where they are -

That's why I made the Monty Python comparison...I personally think that Python
    were finished with the live shows after 1980. I think Queen was done after Freddie died. Together the 4 of them made Queen...>Queen. Adam Lambert and 2 former members are not Queen - they are putting on a dedication - but really no one should really bust May's chops for doing what he wants...sadly the man has very little time left if his cancer doesn't abate..

I think you are mixing me up with someone else. I said his voice hurts my ears.
    the game show comment was through someone else.

I feel considerably different about what constitute talent - The ability to master something is rote work...it's the 10,000 hour theory put into real life practice. Talent on the other hand is an intangible that manifest itself regardless of the level of practice. talent comes through regardless of the skill set.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  19. Fezziwig

Fezziwig Member

Hey now, Brian May announced that he received the all clear in his last prostate cancer screening. Let's not get too crazy in this forum.

20. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

I feel the same way. Adam Lambert is obviously a talented singer , however his vocal register does not sound good in this band to me.