Adam Lambert and Queen

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Nyerik123, May 30, 2014.

1. McStrats

McStrats Member

I think Axl Rose would be a better fit than all of them, Freddie included..

2. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

"I think Queen back in the day also used a lot of canned music in their live shows."

No, I don't think so. Sure, they played a tape for the middle part of BoHo Rap and at some point used an intro tape before taking the stage, but aside from that, I don't think I've ever heard a single "backing track" note on a live Queen performance. When they first started having a keyboard player at shows, he wasn't always prominently visible, but he was acknowledged. Later, Spike Edney was on full display on keys and sometimes guitar.

I actually just watched the rereleased Queen Rocks Montreal, which is a killer show (well, combined from two shows I think), and that was all four dudes playing their assess off. Of course, we don't know what if anything was cleaned up in production, but am pretty sure it was all just four musicians playing those shows live.

If they had been playing anywhere near me, I would have gone to see the show, and I'll probably buy the inevitable DVD of this tour. Any Brian May is worth the money, and I love that they are playing some really early material.

But as others have noted, I don't always love the tone of Adam's voice. It wasn't Freddie's range that made him great, it's all about just how damn good his voice sounded. He had by far my favorite "tone" of any male singer.

In any case, seems like Brian, Roger, and the boys are having fun, and the reviews of the shows have been very positive, so good for them.

3. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

:spit

4. MrX

MrX Member

It will NEVER be the same without Freddie, so stop making comparisons and enjoy the performance.... or don't.

5. Schafrocks

Schafrocks Supporting Member

Now that is funny.

6. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Marc Martel would have been the best for Queen. I saw him live with DownHere a couple of years ago and it was incredible.

7. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

This. Not the "big name" that Lambert has, but sounds really good...

8. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

From what I have seen, the crowds have been 25% Glamberts, 25% diehard Queen fans, and about 50% casual, I like Queen hits, and want to take my girl to a concert...love him or hate him, Lambert is helping quite a bit in drawing a crowd to the shows.

9. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I've always loved his singing, never thought of him as a potential Queen singer until I saw a Youtube of him singing Bohemian Rhapsody. Really fantastic, best non-Freddie performance I've ever heard of that song. His voice is huge, powerful, and the tone is spot-on. Unfortunately they'd go with Lambert for the publicity/name recognition value, given the option of a better (but relatively unknown) singer.

10. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

Reading this thread, there's apparently a sense in which the fans won't let Queen move on. I wonder what Taylor and May would do if they didn't have such a legendary past hanging over them. My guess is that they'd be more free to write and record new music.

11. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

Brian has moved on as has Roger - Theatre, movies, photography, different music with Kerry Ellis.

Queen however is their first love, why should the give up if they want and can do it?

I saw MSG show and I saw them in 82 - this tour is very good - but no Adam isn't Freddie - nobody is anyone else !

It was spot on musically - loud, exciting and Brian is on top form.

When I see what else is out there doing a full Rock Show. - not. Much......

Power to them!!

And Queen before and now did not use any canned guitar or vocals but for the BoRap section when they walk off the stage. - this making it fecking clear to all what it was!

This Tour Brian is playing the only guitar 100% live! Fact:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  12. greeny

greeny Member

Brian and Roger had nearly 20 years of doing primarily none Queen endeavors and they recorded a number of their own albums under various guises. Sure they have had some Queen related activities in that time (the "We will rock You" musical for example). Its inevitable after a long break they might want to try something together again. It's only really the last few years where they have done the Paul Rodgers and now Adam Lambert tours that they have gone down this road.

I saw Queen a couple of times (82 and 86) and Brian Solo a couple of times, and whilst Queen is my favorite act I am not strongly inclined to see this latest tour (in the same way I don't really want to see the we will rock you musical). However i'm not going to begrudge them doing this, it's their music after all.

13. woodie

woodie Member

I wasn't planning on going, but we ended up having a friend hook us up with $20 luxury box tickets, so I decided "why not?" I'm really glad I went. Mostly for brian's guitar playing, which was front and center all night. Adam Lambert didn't quite own it but did an admirable job with his role. He was kind of playing to his fans and went a little "broadway" with it at times, but other times, he really dug in and went for it. I had a lot of friends who were adamant about not going because there was no freddie or deacon, but it was their loss. BM is one of my favorite guitarists of all time, so it was 100% worth seeing him do his thing finally. He is in complete command of the guitar still.

14. starjag

starjag Member

Truly enjoyed the show last night in Toronto!

15. Fu Schnickens

Fu Schnickens Member

Lambert is too stereotypically "gay" for me. Freddie was...flamboyant, say, but he had a deviant, hedonistic bad-boy charisma that was more in the spirit of rock n roll. If Lambert was marching in the rainbow pride Queen parade, Feddie would be the Grand Marshal with ladies and gentlemen in waiting. At his disposal, so to speak. At any rate, I'm glad that Queen has chosen to continue and give a variety of singers the chance to shine with their music. Music that good should be shared.

16. DennyDream

DennyDream Member

Blech. There's something about that guy that just bugs me. It isn't that he's gay. It might be the "look at me I'm gay" over the top part of it. Maybe it is the over-the-top theatrics.

Freddie was flamboyant and obviously gay, but he pulled it off well. This guy-- not so much IMO.

He's got some chops but there's something about his voice and style that just turns me off.

17. BCnSTL

BCnSTL Member

Huge Queen fan here. Titanic Brian May fan.
    I got tickets feeling this was really the "Official Queen Tribute Band". They were tight, and sounded great, the songs are awesome, they paid respects to Freddie. Adam Lambert won me over. His vocal chops are crazy good.

It's not "Queen" really, but I'm glad I went.

18. McStrats

McStrats Member

Yes. Certainly don't want 'the ghey' rubbing off on anyone..

19. Rumy73

Rumy73 Senior Member

Waiting for complaints about stereotypical heterosexuals.

20. BCnSTL

BCnSTL Member

One more comment: Again I'm a HUGE Queen fan and have been since I was 8. My mostest, favoritist band and Brian May (and his tone) made me want to play guitar. I was quite predisposed to dis-liking Adam Lambert. But wow, the man can freaking *sing* and delivers the songs with total conviction and style. Yeah, he's more overtly "gay" but hey - it fits the style of music and the general vibe of the band doesn't it?

To the Queen lovers but Adam haters - just enjoy the songs and be glad the music is being kept live and alive in total respect, love and obvious joy!